Sr iOS Developer
Discovery CommunicationsMumbai, MH
Full Time Job
Sr iOS Developer (SSDE-1/2)
Context of the Role
Discovery India, the country’s largest and most successful real-life entertainment player spanning categories such as Adventure, Travel, Food, Auto, Wildlife has launched Discovery Plus in April 2020, a direct to consumer mobile product that has all the Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC content among other channels.
In the context of the rapidly evolving media and entertainment sector, the product plays a central role in shaping our advertising and affiliate business going forward.
The app also showcases new content from Discovery’s latest acquisition the Scripps Network with channels such as Food Network, HGTV and Travel Channel as well as locally produced original content. The product is available across web and mobile (iOS, Android, PWA) and connected devices phased over a 12-month period.
• Build product features in close collaboration with product and business mandates
• Advocate for best practices for iOS App development and coding practices
• Work with internal and external stakeholders in developing and designing the app and other platforms which support iOS like Apple TV
• Initiate, lead and execute work on proof of concepts and help identify the ways to scale/integrate them in the app
• Own all aspects of the product development from conception, and drive it through development, testing, acceptance, adoption and iterative changes
• Carry out engineering development with a strong focus on error handling, performance monitoring and metrics across the app. Some of the key metrics are Performance Uptime, Re-Buffering rates, Time Spent on the app, App Store Rating among other measures of product stability and excellence.
• 4-6 years’ experience in building direct to consumer products of scale (experience in Video/OTT apps will be highly appreciated)
• Hands-on experience in building native mobile applications and mobility solutions
• Sound understanding of iOS development, with a good grasp on using UIKit, Core Animation, Auto Layout and Cocoa Touch
• Should be conversant in Swift and Objective-C coding ability along with strong CS & OS fundamentals
• Familiar with Web Service Integration (REST, JSON, XML) and REST concepts
• Should act as a mentor and guide and coach fellow product engineer
• Self-confident self-starter – proactive in setting and meeting goals, with limited supervision
• Clear and contagious passion for product and consumer needs
• Proven track record of working on successful mobile products
• High energy and positive attitude
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
ABOUT DISCOVERY INDIA:
Discovery India, the country’s leading infotainment player, is dedicated to satisfying curiosity, engaging and entertaining viewers with high-quality content through its portfolio of 12 channels including Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Discovery HD World, Discovery Science, Discovery Turbo, Discovery Kids, Discovery JEET, Animal Planet HD World, TLC HD World, Discovery Tamil and a premium sports channel DSPORT. From survival to natural history, wonders of science to extreme jobs, motoring to travel and lifestyle, and the latest engineering marvels to original content productions to live sporting events, each channel offers distinct must-watch programming to engage viewers across the country.
Discovery Communications India is a division of Discovery Networks Asia Pacific (DNAP).
Discovery’s Guiding Principles are designed to define the distinctive character, spirit and attitude of our organization…and to inspire us as we design our future.
We really want our leaders to model these principles, and to infuse them into everything we do. This really gets to the very core of Discovery – our spirit, our attitudes and aspirations – our ethos.
These powerful words and phrases define who we are as a company and we hope our leaders practice every time they are setting goals, making decisions and model the behaviors.
Discovery also has a strong portfolio of free-to-air channels across Europe making it a leading broadcaster in a number of countries, including Norway, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Germany and the UK.
As a purpose-driven company, we are dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring. For 30 years we have told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten our viewers around the world, about the world. But our work doesn’t stop there. We are committed to making the world a better place by leveraging our market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes. We also are dedicated to employee volunteerism across the globe.