Sr Director Business & Legal Affairs
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Job
The joint venture with Chip and Joanna will offer remarkable real-life stories with everyday heart, humor, hope, and human connection with programming genres that include fascinating families, heartwarming transformations, and life’s milestone and transformational moments.
The Sr. Director Business & Legal Affairs is responsible for handling business negotiations, drafting of documentation, and content-related legal issues for a wide variety of programming transactions for our Joint Venture network with focus on documentary and non-scripted reality programming. The ideal candidate can be located in New York.
1. Assume responsibility for project/deal negotiations and preparation of documentation for producing, financing, and/or acquiring television product for the network.
2. Negotiate all business terms, including back-end participation and ancillary deal components such as home video rights and electronic delivery issues.
3. Draft and/or review original programming development and production, co-production, acquisition, and marketing/promotion agreements.
4. Administer and thoroughly coordinate all business issues, legal contracts and delivery of program.
5. Professionally handle legal issues related to network content, including identification of issues, coordination with standards and practices, ad sales, and marketing/PR, managing production legal issues and problems, evaluating commercial and licensing terms.
6. Assume accountability for deals under tight timelines while acquiring appropriate rights package within budgetary parameters.
7. Manage business practices in concert with network editorial/creative and production management.
8. Provide on-going business and legal advice to internal clients concerning pre-public production, broadcast clearance and other issues as needed.
* Applicants must have at least four years of legal experience in the entertainment industry or commensurate transactional experience in the entertainment division of a law firm.
* Strong academic credentials from an ABA-accredited law school.
* Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
* A demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a very high-volume workload.
* Knowledge of television program and talent agreements and/or cable industry required.
* Applicants must be industrious and self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take the initiative, make firm decisions, manage projects, and offer a high level of customer service.
* Excellent business and legal judgment.
* Excellent people skills and ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with internal and external partners.
* Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Lotus Notes, and other software applications required.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY