Spring Paid Intern - Design & UX
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Part Time Paid Internship
Design & UX Intern - Spring 2022 (Virtual)
Although our spring internship program will be completely remote (students can apply from anywhere), please be aware that this intern will report into an east coast based manager and therefore should expect to work on eastern standard time.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences.
We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers.
The UX intern will be part of the Global Product & Design team responsible for Discovery , a newly-launched direct-to-consumer streaming service for fans of real-life entertainment. Discovery combines the content of 18 popular networks such as HGTV, Food Network, Discovery, TLC, and Investigation ID among others, along with discovery Originals. The Global Product & Design team has offices in Knoxville, TN, New York City, Bellevue, WA, Los Angeles and London, and regularly works with colleagues across the globe.
We are looking for a UX Design Intern with a strong interest and passion for designing engaging user experiences for the Web, Mobile and Connected TV's. The ideal candidate must be a self-motivated individual with a willingness to learn and contribute.
- Be an active member of the UX team focused on Discovery's streaming apps and services
- Participate in Product Discovery, UX Design and Research activities
- Effectively communicate design concepts and rationale
* Pursuing a Bachelors in digital design, Product Design, UX, Interactive Design, User Centered Design, HCI etc.
* Must be currently enrolled as a student (proof of enrollment will be required if selected for an internship)
* Must be a Junior, Senior, or Graduate student
* Must have at least a 3.0 GPA
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Interest in designing 10ft, mobile and web experiences
* Familiarity with design tools such as Figma, Miro, InVision, and Adobe Suite
* Passion for ideation, collaboration and iteration
* Deep empathy for the end user
* Willingness to learn
About Our Program
Discovery’s internationally recognized intern program attracts the country’s boldest and brightest students for a paid, for-credit, real-world work experience in the entertainment and media industry.
Like other Fortune 500 companies, we believe in immersing our students in all aspects of our business, giving them first hand experience working for the global leader in real life entertainment. So what sets us apart? We’re passionate about investing in our interns-- both personally and professionally. Whether our program is in-person or remote, every semester is packed with speaker sessions with executives, LinkedIn profile reviews, recruiter panels, roundtable events and professional seminars-- and that just scratches the surface.
Think our program sounds pretty awesome? Our former interns thought so too! This year, we were voted into Vault’s 2021 internship rankings for best overall internships, best media and telecom internships, best sales and marketing internships and best internships for diversity.
Ready to learn more? Here’s what we offer:
• Mentorship from some of the industry’s kindest and most passionate entertainment veterans
• Professional development seminars, panels with recruiters and former interns, intern-exclusive events, and so much more
• Access to top level executives and employees through our Speaker Series and Roundtables
• Incredible networking opportunities and a robust intern alumni network
• A creative, collaborative and inclusive company culture
What you can expect to take away from the semester:
• Opportunity to develop professionally and uncover skills you didn’t know you had
• The insider scoop on the TV industry and what happens behind the scenes
• Relationships that will go beyond your collegiate career
• Real life experiences that will provide you with the confidence to delve into your next adventure
And finally, what to know before applying:
• We offer 12 week spring and summer opportunities
• Our Spring 2022 program will be fully remote- the program will run from January 31st-April 22.
• The?application deadline for Spring 2022 is Friday, November 12th. After this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
• Our internships are paid opportunities. Credit is not required; however, we will provide necessary documentation for school credit if desired.
• We do not require a cover letter- please do not submit one. Instead, demonstrate your passion for the position through your resume and interviews.
Interviewing will take place from September through mid-December. A Discovery Intern team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.