Spring Intern - Software Development
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Part Time Paid Internship
Discovery Interns are explorers; they dive headfirst into the world in front of them. They aren’t afraid to be uncomfortable and boldly embrace any obstacle or challenge as an opportunity to excel. They walk confidently into the uncharted territory and make the most of their experiences. They ask the questions that go beyond the surface.
Seek adventure, find your passion, forge your path with an Internship at Discovery.
Through Discovery’s Internship Program, you’ll have the unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the entertainment and media industry and learn from the leader in global entertainment.
Here’s what we offer:
• Opportunity to immerse yourself and get your hands dirty with challenging work and projects
• Mentorship from Discovery’s best and brightest
• Intern Speaker Series featuring top executives and employees across the business
• Networking opportunities with great snacks
• A creative, collaborative and inclusive company culture with office spaces to match
Here’s what you’ll take away:
• Opportunity to develop professionally and uncover skills you didn’t know you had
• The insider scoop on the TV industry and what happens behind the scenes
• Relationships that will go beyond your collegiate career
• Real life experiences that will provide you with the confidence to delve into your next adventure
What you need to know:
• This spring, our 12 week semester will be held from January 27th-April 17th 2020.
• Our internships are paid opportunities. Credit is not required; however, we will provide documentation if necessary.
• The?application deadline is November 15th.?After this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
• We do not require a cover letter. Please demonstrate your passion for the position through your resume.
Interviewing will take place from September through December. A Discovery Intern team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.
As Discovery’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
As a Software Development Intern, some of the awesome things you could work on include:
• Learn the ins and outs of how IT (datacenter and cloud based) infrastructure is built, deployed and consumed by the needs of a global media company
• Learn and use popular source control, integration code analysis and automation tools and practices
• Work with different languages and technologies (content delivery networks, cloud infrastructures, Java, Python, and more) to participate in full software development lifecycle
• Be involved in a scrum agile software development team
• Writing automated tests and software for both the front end and back end
• Experience with APIs
• Work with engineers to investigate and determine best solutions for customer needs
* Must be currently enrolled as a student (proof of enrollment will be required if selected for an internship)
* Must be a current Junior, Senior, or Graduate student
* Must have at least a 3.0 GPA
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
* Experience with one or more of the following; Java, Angular, Python, Jenkins, Sonar, Saucelabs & CI/CD, Github, AWS, JSON, XML, Windows/Unix System Administration, PHP, C/C
Please note this position is located in KNOXVILLE. If selected for an opportunity, interns are responsible for securing their own housing.
tennessee, kx, tn