Software Engineering Manager
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Genius Kitchen, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on the web, mobile, and voice that reaches millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
Discovery is seeking a Software Engineering Manager to build the tools that brings our content to life on Food Network and other lifestyle brands. Our publishing tools help our Editorial staff build sophisticated experiences that combine video, photography, and rich media. As a Software Engineering Manager, you’ll be leading the engineering team working closely with Product Management and Editorial teams. We believe that the best publishing tools help create the best user experiences, so we have built our platform from using in-house using React, AWS serverless technologies such as Lambda, API Gateway, and DynamoDB (amongst many others).
This will be a hands-on role where you’ll be involved in requirements analysis, functional and technical design discussions, testing, proof-of-concept, working with several other teams, and more. You will help drive all aspects of agile software development process; providing coaching to team members; and collaborating with other Discovery teams on shared objectives. As a manager on the team, you’ll be expected to write code, drive code reviews, and help prioritize work for the team.
1. Develop a modern, scalable application that will be used by several editors and is integrated with web services.
2. Deliver high quality, high performance, well tested, scalable code
3. Manage the entire lifecycle of services from design to development to operating in production
4. Lead a DevOps culture in the Digital Studios organization
5. Participate alongside your team in the on-call rotation (rare after-hours support)
6. Help set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing
7. Master developing and operating applications fully leveraging AWS technologies, including serverless offerings
8. Coach and mentor software engineers
9. Day-to-day support of project initiatives including participation in sprint planning, team retrospectives, and code reviews
10. Help set team goals and technical direction while ensuring that they align with the goals of the larger organization
11. Meet with the rest of the engineering management team to align engineering-wide priorities
12. Weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-paced environment with constant change
13. Help implement effective engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality and forward progress
14. Communicate status, roadblocks and requirements to senior management in order to proactively solve problems and drive solutions
* Experience using Node.js and/or AWS lambda experience.
* Strong knowledge of cloud infrastructure, CI/CD pipeline and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud), Serverless technologies like AWS lambda.
* Knowledge of large-scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning.
* 2 years in an engineering management role.
* Experience managing remote employees is a plus.
* A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY