Software Engineer - Conversational SVCS
Discovery CommunicationsBellevue, WA
Full Time Job
We’re looking for a software engineer to develop services that support conversational applications built on voice-first and chat platforms like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Facebook Messenger. These services be responsible for delivering natural language responses to user requests, maintain conversational state, record analytics events, and aggregate data across multiple brand services. Within your role, you’ll be working with a focused team of engineers, designers, and product managers to build new capabilities on voice-enabled, speakers, screens, and mobile devices - driving the future of digital interfaces that will make Discovery brands like Food Network and HGTV an indispensable part of people’s everyday lives.
This will be a forward-thinking role where you’ll be successful by: evaluating user interactions in terms of conversational patterns and modeling them in code; building independently deployable, reusable APIs in Node.JS on the AWS platform; participating in a highly collaborative, cross-functional team; and actively following trends in voice design and the evolution in natural language platforms.
1. Deliver high-quality, high-performance, scalable code.
2. Work closely with other developers, operations, design, product, PM and QA to gather requirements for new API resources that, when implemented, will enable new features in our clients and services
3. Writing unit tests and end-to-end tests, against your code, to be used in our CI workflow
4. Participate in peer code reviews, provide and handle constructive feedback, and develop team knowledge
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field from an accredited college or university, or commensurate experience
* 1-3 years writing applications and/or services in Node.JS, Ruby, or Python
* Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Heroku)
* Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g., unit testing, design patterns, building maintainable code, performance)
* Knowledgeable with API design, implementation and documentation
* Excellent communication skills in both verbal and written English
* Able to work in teams, contribute ideas and share knowledge proactively
* Self-motivated and unafraid to dive into detailed technical issues
* Must have the legal right to work in the US
Bellevue, Washington, WA, Seattle
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on web, mobile, and voice that reaches millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.