Software Development Engineer
Discovery CommunicationsLondon, GB
Full Time Job
Software Development Engineer II (Connected)
Discovery Digital Media is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc, a high-performing global team working at the dynamic intersection of Technology and Entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we continuously leverage our technological capabilities to create immersive viewing experiences for iconic brands including Eurosport, GOLFTV, MotorTrend and DPlay.
We are excited to be recruiting the new opportunity of Software Development Engineer II - Connected Devices, to join Dplay, a leading Video on Demand product in Europe with plans for rapid international expansion. The successful candidate will work within a team of Engineers developing the Dplay app and will have responsibility for the day-to-day development of new features worldwide, across our Connected Devices / TV applications (currently React.js), ensuring that our apps are delivered on time, within budget and meeting quality specifications and goals set out by the business and expected by our customers.
• Lean advocates with a specific focus on BDD and Kanban
• Full Automation test suites favoured over manual QA – we like software engineers in test
• Best in class development
• We like things to be fast and re-usable
• We have a build vs buy mentality; everything is proprietary from front to back!
• Constantly exploring new technology
• Dedicated and hardworking, with an eye on a positive work/life balance
• We work in cross-platform, mission-based squads – with knowledge sharing being a key aspect
• Totally collaborative, but not big fans of meetings
As a Software Development Engineer II - Connected Devices, you will work in collaboration with Delivery Managers, planning sprints and prioritising new feature and bug fixes. In addition, you will use your knowledge and professional experience to influence technical decisions regarding your domain of expertise.
Key Skills and Experience
• Experienced and capable of playing a leading role to design and develop major functional changes to existing software systems, or new ones, involving yourself and other engineers
• Experience working with multiple stakeholders (internal and external) with different goals, objectives and aspirations
• Experience working in an agile environment
• Experience building dynamic customer-facing apps that use RESTful APIs to operate
• Experience building modular apps, or migrating a monolithic app to a modular architecture
• Knowledge of development best practices, including coding guidelines
• Knowledge of or previous experience with VOD is a plus, including experience working with video playback on Web