Software Development Engineer III - Media Player
Discovery CommunicationsBellevue, WA
This was removed by the employer on 12/4/2020 9:31:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the IS/IT Category
Search for Software Development Engineer III - Media Player jobs in Bellevue-WA
Search all Software Development Engineer III - Media Player postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Software Development Engineer III - Media Player? Job Summary
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel , TLC , Animal Planet , HGTV , Food Network , and Travel Channel . Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery reaches viewers on all screens and services, from free-to-air and pay-TV channels, to digital products and streaming services, to social and mobile-first content and formats. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and every day utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers.
We are hiring a Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, Washington to join the cross-platform player technology team. This team will be part of the Discovery global platform team developing a Direct to Consumer platform for customers across Discovery's wide array of direct-to-consumer products, across entertainment, food, home, auto, nature, and science. The diversity of users spread across 220 countries within the Discovery portfolio provides a unique challenge to help develop a truly global cross platform video player platform. The engineer will be experienced at implementing various components of a video player such as UI components, subtitles & closed captions, volume and quality controls, and streaming MPEG-DASH and/or HLS . The engineer will have strong software engineering fundamentals (data structures, object-oriented design and algorithms), a well-honed arsenal of software architecture and design patterns and a demonstrated competence in designing reusable, maintainable and performant software written in a modern high-level language (C, C , Java, C#, Objective-C, Swift). They will always champion for consumer experience when it comes to video playback & player features. They are excited by the use of innovative technologies to solve consumer desires & pain points & delight them in the act of video consumption.
This engineer will collaborate with product teams, product management, Ad tech teams and design teams to build and maintain a scalable cross device player platform. This engineer will have strong attention to detail and understand & follow agile methods; adapt to dynamic & changing environment and communicate with simplicity & in a timely manner. You will work cross-functionally with Product Managers, Engineers to execute against the roadmap to meet and exceed goals.
• Develop a cross-platform video player that exceeds consumer expectations with regards to usability and performance.
• Work autonomously to design and develop functional changes to existing software systems. You require little or no guidance by team members. You still actively seek input where appropriate and engage your team to inform and share what you are doing.
• Collaborate with other engineers assisting on features another engineer designed or taking the lead on feature design yourself. Your software contributions are demonstrated to work in production, and your team trusts your decisions, designs, and code.
• Describe and defend your design and code decisions to other engineers, embrace constructive feedback, and adapt your approach to align with team and company standards and objectives.
• Consistently demonstrate good software ownership practices (e.g. code reviews, code comments, etc) in all of your contributions. Your code reviews are uneventful, you prepare documentation proactively, and you ensure proper monitoring for operational excellence in production.
• Offer enhancements to best practices, document, design and architecture improvements, and as feedback through code reviews to other engineers without continuous prompting or recurring encouragement. Other engineers appreciate your feedback.
• Troubleshoot a production issue by reviewing source code, logs, operational metrics, stack trace etc to pinpoint a specific problem and then resolve it. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.