Service Monitoring & Maintenance Analyst
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-tv, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
Reporting to the Service & Engineering Improvement Manager this position is critical in leading Monitoring as part of the Technology Operations Group. The Service Monitoring & Maintenance Analyst is a self-starter willing to take the initiative. To succeed in this role the post-holder needs to be creative clever, passionate and love building new solutions
Highlights of the role
This team support our two global Technology Operations Centers. As a function these are the 24/7 Command & Control Hub for all our all Distribution and IT support services. The position is key to ensuring organizational improvements, consistently improving and maintaining our availability and uptime, establish effective automation and monitoring to deliver successes and areas of opportunity.
To partner with engineering and workforce technology teams to advocate sensible, scalable systems design as well as building the best tools to diagnose, resolve and prevent issues.
This position may sit in either Sterling, Virginia or Knoxville, Tennessee.
1. Design, roadmaps, and administers tools used in discovering and monitoring Discovery’s configuration items and real-time
2. Build and monitoring systems that assist in infrastructure and application event detection and alert remediation
3. Ensure all relevant infrastructure and services are properly covered within our monitoring and alerting systems in a manner consistent with our standards; collect the right metrics at the right frequency and ensure the data is readily available for effective alerting, reporting, and analysis
4. Define business and operations success metrics, Establishes departmental process model for benchmarking, standardization, and process improvements.
5. Collaborate with a cross-functional team of Dev, Ops, Engineers, and architects to understand complex application architectures in order to implement an effective top-down monitoring strategy of holistic service visibility
6. Participate in strategy and future implementation discussions for the redesign and implementation of monitoring environments to modernize with latest technology trends
7. Develop and maintain documentation for the knowledge base
8. Leveraging performance counters to diagnose and troubleshoot infrastructure problems.
9. Create/maintain documentation for monitoring requirements, processes, implementation.
10. Assist in the deployment, organization, and management of standard operating procedures
11. Perform other duties as needed
* Bachelor’s degree in IT Management, Software or Broadcast Engineering, or equivalent work experience
* Minimum of 5 years of experience in system administration in an enterprise production environment
* Experience in the use of network management protocols (eg SNMP, SNMP Traps, Syslog, ICMP, Netflow, etr)
* In-depth experience installing, Configuring, maintaining monitoring tools with at least two of the following: Solarwinds, Splunk, New Relic and ServiceNow, SCOM
* Working knowledge of ITIL required. Foundation certification expected. Must be able to effectively communicate with owners of ITIL Disciplines (Incident, Problem, Change, Release, and Configuration) to provide effective IT support to the end-users.
* Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills
* Strong organizational and conceptual skills combined with proven critical thinking, analytic, problem solving, and decision-making abilities
* Ability to multi task within related functions
* Strong presentation and communication skills, ability to interface with internal and external groups
* Able to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility, including flexibility in working hours to support employees and customers across multiple time zones.
* Experience of working for a Media Company/Broadcast is desirable but not essential
* Knowledge of local employment laws is beneficial.
* Must have the legal right to work in US
Sterling, Virginia, VA