Service Monitoring & Maintenance Analyst
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
Reporting to the Director of Site Reliability Engineering, this position is critical to the mission of the Site Reliability Engineering team as part of the Technology Operations Group. The Service Monitoring & Maintenance Analyst is a self-starter willing to take the initiative. The core purpose of the role is to ensure that our applications, platforms, and infrastructure are effectively monitored for availability, performance, and functionality, and that alerts driven by our monitoring systems are accurate and actionable. To succeed in this role the post-holder needs to be creative clever, passionate and love building new solutions.
Highlights of the role
Based in either Sterling, VA or Knoxville, TN, the postholder is part of a team supporting our two global Technology Operations Centers based in Sterling, VA and London, UK. As a function these are the 24/7 Command & Control Hub for our media distribution and IT support services. The position is key to ensuring organizational improvements, consistently improving and maintaining our availability and uptime, establishing effective automation and monitoring solutions to deliver successes and areas of opportunity.
The Site Reliability Engineering team partners with engineering and workforce technology teams to advocate sensible, scalable systems design as well as building the best tools to diagnose, resolve and prevent issues. The postholder is a practitioner and advocate of good monitoring practices and configuration management within GT&O and so should be a great communicator and enthusiastic champion of Technology Operations.
In managing and advocating for effective and complete monitoring solutions, the Service Monitoring & Maintenance Analyst services the needs of the Technology Operations team, the broader GT&O organization, as well as internal customers across myriad technology and business teams. This person wants to see into the future, establishing predictive and proactive monitoring solutions to identify risks before services could be impacted.
This position may sit in either Sterling, Virginia or Knoxville, Tennessee.
1. Design, roadmap, and administers tools used in discovering and monitoring Discovery’s applications, services, platforms, and infrastructure
2. Build monitoring systems that assist in infrastructure and application event detection and alert remediation
3. Ensure all relevant infrastructure and services are properly covered within our monitoring and alerting systems in a manner consistent with our standards; collect the right metrics at the right frequency and ensure the data is readily available for effective alerting, reporting, and analysis
4. Define business and operations success metrics, Establishes departmental process model for benchmarking, standardization, and process improvements.
5. Collaborate with a cross-functional team of Dev, Ops, Engineers, and architects to understand complex application architectures to implement an effective top-down monitoring strategy of holistic service visibility
6. Participate in strategy and future implementation discussions for the redesign and implementation of monitoring environments to modernize with latest technology trends
7. Leveraging performance counters to diagnose and troubleshoot infrastructure problems.
8. Create/maintain documentation for monitoring requirements, processes, and implementation.
9. Assist in the deployment, organization, and management of standard operating procedures
10. Perform other duties as needed
* Bachelor’s degree in IT Management, Software or Broadcast Engineering, or equivalent work experience
* Minimum of 5 years of experience in system administration in an enterprise production environment
* Experience in the use of network management protocols (eg SNMP, SNMP Traps, Syslog, ICMP, Netflow, etr)
* In-depth experience installing, configuring, and maintaining monitoring tools with at least two of the following: Solarwinds, Splunk, New Relic, and ServiceNow
* Working knowledge of ITIL required. Foundation certification expected. Must be able to effectively communicate with owners of ITIL Disciplines (Incident, Problem, Change, Release, and Configuration) to provide effective IT support to the end-users.
* Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills
* Strong organizational and conceptual skills combined with proven critical thinking, analytic, problem solving, and decision-making abilities
* Ability to multi-task within related functions
* Strong presentation and communication skills, ability to interface with internal and external groups
* Able to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility, including flexibility in working hours to support employees and customers across multiple time zones.
* Experience of working for a Media Company/Broadcast is desirable but not essential
* Must have the legal right to work in US
Sterling, Virginia, VA
As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-tv, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.