Senior Software Development Manager
Discovery CommunicationsWarsaw, MZ
Full Time Job
Currently in Poland we are looking for passionate people with various backgrounds to join our team in the fields of FP&A Centre of Excellence, Global Business Services, HR Services and Media Business.
Discovery's Engineering teams in Stockholm, London, New York, and Seattle have shipped the core services of Discovery's growing streaming video platform.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network's brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalog, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery-owned networks around the world - Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Dplay, Discovery and many more. This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
We are hiring a Senior Software Development Manager to help build and lead a newly formed team in Poland. The team will be part of our Global Payments group with a strong focus on financial integrations. This includes areas like ERP system integration, revenue recognition, financial auditing, and reconciliation.
The ideal candidate has a track record of creating the identity for a team, and defining how that team works within a larger organization. You have mastered the ability to delegate both tasks, and larger assignments to your team, and ensure that the right results are achieved even without your constant oversight. You are a leader that people turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities and processes, and create new ones where needed.
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top-notch. You can distill key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing people, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high-quality examples of your own work.
• Given a larger business goal, you are able to facilitate ramping up of an existing team or building a new team, including estimating the needed skills and team size, defining processes, team structure, and means of collaboration. You have repeatedly demonstrated the ability to hit these goals.
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of engineers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers.
• You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one engineering team or functional area showing that your judgment is fungible.
• Building and managing services for consumer-facing applications that are highly available, scalable, and resilient to failure.
• Experience in building, operating, and truly owning services. Implementing alerting, metrics, and logging using Prometheus, CloudWatch, Kibana, PagerDuty.
• Proficient in Java and a few other languages.
• Persistence and caching solutions such as PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Caffeine.
• Micro-service based architectures using gRPC and Kafka for interservice communication.
• Experience in ERP/SAP system integration, SOA, webMethods, ESB
• Asynchronous, non-blocking, functional style of programming and experience implementing with frameworks such as Spring WebFlux, Node.js, vert.
• Usage and deep understanding of Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS.