Senior Manager Business and Legal Affairs
Discovery CommunicationsLondon, UK
This was removed by the employer on 3/1/2022 5:34:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Search for Senior Manager Business and Legal Affairs jobs in London-UK
Search all Senior Manager Business and Legal Affairs postings
Full Time Job
Discovery’s Business and Legal Affairs Department seeks an enthusiastic, highly motivated Senior Manager to negotiate all content-related agreements including format deals for Discovery’s channels and platforms, with a focus on supporting the UK and Nordic commissioning activities. This position involves working closely with the editorial teams and collaborating with other departments to ensure delivery of compliant content that Discovery can exploit and promote worldwide. Production or commissioning experience is essential. Extensive contacts amongst programme producers and distributors would be an advantage.
• Draft and negotiate programming agreements such as development, acquisition, commission, co-production, format and licensing agreements and associated agreements such as distribution agreements, independent contractor agreements, location and participant release agreements.
• Liaise with network and third-party production companies to negotiate and complete such agreements.
• Establish, maintain and develop relationships with key content suppliers.
• Assist in sourcing of content in accordance with the editorial requirements of the channels working closely with the content team.
• Provide market intelligence research and support for business initiatives as directed.
• Provide on-going general business and legal advice to internal clients concerning production, broadcast clearance, copyright and other intellectual property and content-related issues, as they arise.
• Troubleshoot various programming business and legal issues, including drafting responses to claim letters, drafting delay notification letters, termination agreements, assisting with pre-publication review and legal compliance content review, and liaising internally and externally as appropriate regarding high exposure rights clearances.
• Updating the department’s template agreements.
• Revise and update DEAL database and such other information tracking mechanisms in use within the business.
• Supporting other company business initiatives as directed.
• Qualified lawyer required with at least 4 years PQE or equivalent negotiating experience working in business affairs in the entertainment industry.
• Scripted experience would be valuable, although not essential.
• Experience gained in a broadcast/media environment in private practice or in-house with exposure to production agreements, including broad and in-depth knowledge of television production, acquisition transactions and other tv agreements.
• Extensive contacts with programme producers, distributors and broadcasters.
• Excellent negotiation, drafting and contract analysis skills and proven experience in resolution of complex rights issues.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective communication at junior and senior level within and outside the company.
• Good organizational skills and ability to work well under pressure.
• Ability to handle high volume of work, as well as recognize priorities and manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
• Ability to function on an independent basis, with moderate supervision.
• Knowledge of the legal and regulatory framework within which the tv business operates.
• Knowledge of television business, free to air, cable, pay and satellite TV industry and general entertainment industry and ‘new media’ developments. Working knowledge of union and guild issues would be helpful.
• Understanding of European (especially Nordic) production practices would be beneficial.
• Knowledge of Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian or Danish would be helpful, although not essential.
• Computer skills (including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint. Knowledge / experience setting up databases, tables, knowledge of redlining software).