Senior Data Operations Engineer
Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, MD
Full Time Job
The Senior Data Operations Engineer will be responsible for driving Discovery’s global corporate and broadcast application tiers into sustainable cloud agnostic solutions. Working within Global data engineering and advance analytics team the role will provide technical direction and implementation to build scalable infrastructure to enable digital transformation. With modern cloud, devops tools and open source technologies, you are responsible for architecting and implementing the new end-to-end CI/CD pipeline for Data and analytics applications.
You interface with the functional areas throughout the enterprise, identifying potential opportunities to re-engineer technology processes, improve efficiencies and reduce costs.
A strong background in development is necessary, not only to build and improve internal tooling, but also to improve selected open source tools as well.
The Sr. Data Operations Engineer will work closely with the Data Engineering Manager to decide on needed infrastructure architecture and software design needs and act according to the decisions.
1. Design and develop high-volume, low-latency applications for high-profile systems, delivering high availability and performance. This includes design and development of relational and nosql databases, Big data clusters and middleware-tier architecture components.
2. Contribute in all phases of the development life cycle; Collaborate with system architects on application infrastructure.
3. Leverage modern tools and techniques to develop clean, efficient, and reusable code
4. Identify and address design, development, and delivery performance bottlenecks in preproduction/development environment looking to continually improve applications
5. Write documentation for both internal and external consumers, covering design artifacts, code and fixes
6. Collaborate with DevOps teams to automate software deployment, including deployment of immutable application infrastructure
7. Administration of AWS services like IAM, Role, policies and AD integration
* Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, Information Technology, Information Systems or similar
* Minimum of 5 years of experience in enterprise solution development
* Proficiency with Java, Python, Ruby, Golang, Bash, and ability to become proficient in other languages in minimal time
* At least 2 years of Scripting experience (Ruby, Python, PowerShell)
* Terraform (Must to have), Chef, Puppet, Ansible build automation deployment experience
* Experience with source control or continuous integration tools such as GIT-SVN or Jenkins (desired)
* Strong experience of containers, Docker, and container management solutions
* Extensive experience with Amazon Web Services, specifically EC2, EBS, ELB, S3, CloudFront, IAM, VPC, EMR, Redshift, IAM, Kafka, AWS Kinesis and RDS.
* Strong experience in managing and using relational and nosql technologies for application development
* Strong experience developing microservice-based and immutable applications and deployments
* Exposure to Virtualization (VMware, Xen, Hypervisor)
* Development Life Cycles (SDLC) methodologies
* Strong presentation and communication skills, ability to interface with internal and external groups
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to articulate issues and solutions
* Legal right to work in the United States.
* Desire and interest in Modern data architecture (Big data)
Silver Spring, Maryland, MD
As Discovery Inc.’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The Global Data Analytics team enables Discovery Inc. to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, data warehousing and business intelligence technology, audience data, advanced analytics, data science, visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports company efforts to increase revenue, drive ratings, and enhance consumer engagement.