Discovery CommunicationsLondon, GB
Full Time Job
Discovery, Inc. is a global leader in real life entertainment, serving a passionate audience of superfans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages.
Discovery is a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens, from linear,?free-to-air and?pay–TV?channels to digital products, streaming services, social & mobile-first content and formats.
As Discovery's portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery's products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery's growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
Based in our Chiswick, West London offices, the Senior Architect leads the Media Engineering Architecture group ensuring that the media technology strategy is defined, agreed and followed. Working with the latest technologies, in a dynamic, forward-thinking environment, where you will drive innovation, you will be responsible for developing, updating and communicating the overall media technology strategy and vision for Discovery EMEA Live and FTA Platform and Systems.
Among others, your responsibilities will be to:
• Work with senior stakeholders across the organisation to understand programme ideas, needs and opportunities to guide and update strategic vision.
• Work with Technology Partners across the organisation to ensure solutions meet global needs and practices (e.g. Security)
• Evaluate and select appropriate software or hardware and suggest integration methods
• Provide technical leadership and guidance to team members and software development teams
• BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field and proven experience as an Architect
• Hands-on experience developing highly resilient systems and in system administration
• Understanding of strategic Media solutions (Particularly Live, and building in appropriate resilience)
• Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate, develop and inspire others
• Knowledge of media storage systems
• Extensive experience with the technologies involved in Live Productions
• Extensive experience of Playout systems
Why work for us?
You will be working in a fast paced, complex environment with cutting-edge technology, where no two days are the same.
We value our staff and put people at the centre of everything we do. Consumers, Customers, Partners and Employees. In addition to our excellent benefits package we also have employee-centric offerings such as our on-site medical centre, back-up child & elder care sessions and enhanced family leave. We are proud to be a proactively diverse organisation with a variety of employee groups that we engage with to ensure continuous improvement of our organisation.
If you are looking for a challenging role with real business impact, we'd love to hear from you!