Senior Accounting Director
Discovery CommunicationsWarsaw, MZ
Full Time Job
Senior Accounting Director (EMEA)
Currently in Poland we are looking for passionate people with various backgrounds to join our team in the fields of FP&A Centre of Excellence, Global Business Services, HR Services and Media Business.
The key objectives of the role are to direct and develop the accounting practices, procedures and initiatives for Discovery’s international subsidiaries in a portion of the EMEA region. Ensures the preparation and analysis of financial reports and compliance with all applicable regulations these entities including required statutory audits. Maintains an in-depth, and up to date knowledge and understanding of both U.S. and international accounting principles. The role will ensure that the systems and procedures are in place to provide timely and accurate financial data. The role will collaborate with business operations, corporate functions, and third-party auditors and advisors.
• Manages the timely and accurate monthly/quarterly/annual financial accounting and reporting for international subsidiaries within EMEA, including management and statutory accounts.
• Interfaces with accounting shared service function (GBS) and proactivity manage service level agreements.
• Responsible for implementation of global, regional, and local accounting policies in compliance with U.S. GAAP, International accounting standards, corporate guidelines, debt covenants, JV requirements and local/statutory regulations.
• Oversees internal and external audits for the certain EMEA subsidiaries including country specific statutory audits.
• Collaborates with Treasury and Tax to ensure that business’ funding requirements are sourced appropriately, exchange risks are mitigated where possible, surplus funds are efficiently repatriated, and compliance with the transfer pricing structure.
• Implement/interpret/document complex accounting areas which includes revenue recognition, hedging, foreign currency translation, content accounting, capitalized software, investments, etc.
• Partners in the review and consideration of deals and transactions, including acquisitions, joint ventures, investments, etc.
• Collaborates with the financial compliance team to make improvements to the control environment and to ensure timely remediation of any identified control deficiencies
Multiple Direct Reports (Country Controllers); with team members located in Poland and in local countries.
• Graduate in Finance, Accounting or Business management, with strong background in accounting
• Must have a minimum of 8 years of Big4 and/or large corporation experience (US listed environment a plus)
• Qualified accountant (CPA, ACCA or equivalent)
• Strong technical accounting skills – US GAAP and/or IFRS reporting
• Experience working in SOX control environment
• Experience managing statutory audits in multiple countries
• Experience in working in multi-functional teams on tax and treasury issues
• Maintain strong work ethic and high integrity. Consensus and team builder
• Strong communication skills both written and oral and fluent in English
• Strong management, training and development experience and skills
• Experience with accounting software (SAP a plus) and implementation
• Media or high-volume transaction experience strongly preferred
• EMEA regional experience preferred
• Willingness to learn and implement best practices from industry peers
• Detail and results-oriented
• Proven ability to build confidence and trust with internal and external constituencies and provide excellent customer service