Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Our Team: Purchasing Manager, Various freelance Shoppers, and Interns. Works parallel to Culinary Production, Digital Culinary and Linear Culinary. Also services Ad Sales, PR and Licensing.
The Role: Purchasing Specialist will procure food, supplies and equipment for the various Culinary related projects and events for Discovery’s Digital and Linear teams in Food Network Kitchen, in studios and out on locations.
• Loves food and cooking and has extensive knowledge of the field but doesn't necessarily want to be a cook.
• Knows their way around both a supermarket and a produce wholesaler. Can find peaches out of season, the best chocolate babka, a 1-pound wheel of Brie, callaloo, jaggery, gummy spiders in June, whole turkeys in July, P&D large shrimp that aren't ammoniated, four exactly 3/4-inch thick bone-in pork chops, and 25 perfectly ripe avocados on a moment's notice. If you don't know where to find those things you relish the hunt for them.
• Knows roughly how much a bunch of kale weighs, how many large shrimp are in a pound, what size bag of flour you need for 10 cups, and the difference between Dutch Process and natural cocoa powder.
• Responds to change and last minute-requests with grace and enthusiasm.
• Can evolve with the position and is willing to grow along with it.
• Details are their thing, they are big on the follow through, ask questions when they don't understand something, and can make educated decisions on their own too.
• Speaks the language of numbers and accounting, is fluent in spreadsheets (or at least conversational), understands budgets and can work within them. Can provide accountability reports on all spending.
• Loves systems, can create them, and always strives to be more efficient. Can multitask like a pro.
• Is passionate and knowledgeable about sustainability practices and developing programs that support them.
• Can work outside the 9 to 5 schedule if the need arises.
• Works well independently as well as part of a team.
• Provide support for brand extension projects managed by Purchasing Manager.
*3 Years of restaurant (manager level FOH or BOH), food media, food tv production or other relevant experience required.
*Culinary school, Culinary Management Certification, Bachelors in Communications, Accounting, Hospitality or Business or equivalent preferred.
* Prior experience managing people a strong plus.
* Event planning experience from both FOH and BOH perspective a plus.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States