Purchasing and Events Manager
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel, is searching for a Purchasing and Events Manager in New York, NY to join our Culinary team's Purchasing Department as part of the Food Network Kitchen.
In this unique role, you'll spearhead the ordering, accounting and waste-reduction plan for the food flow coming in to the of Food Network Kitchen for digital and linear shoots, recipe development and catering events. You'll be working with food stylists, chefs, culinary producers, editors, linear and digital talent and member of our corporate departments.
Unlike in most restaurant kitchens, the bulk of Food Network Kitchen inventory changes daily based on project needs. There is a small par list. It’s extremely important that the Purchasing Manager implements systems to rotate and rearrange product as needed to reduce waste, promote efficiency and cost-saving among the teams, and keep the walk-in, pantries and stations clean.
1. Source and order groceries and equipment and keep up-to-date with new vendors, products, and sustainable products and practices as they become available and relevant to the kitchen.
2. Work with the Sous Chef to implement all of the above with a small full-time staff and large, fluid team of freelancers.
3. Consistently evaluate and change kitchen organization, storage and waste management strategies depending on work flow and staffing in the kitchen.
4. Manage “front-of-house” for events.
5. Manage the stewarding team to ensure that they are part of the regular maintenance of the kitchen.
6. Manage the physical space of Food Network Kitchen and repair needs for refrigeration, ovens and other equipment.
7. Help implement and adhere to a transparent accounting system, working with teams to manage budgets and reduce costs as much as possible.
8. Commit to and keep up-to-date with sustainability practices including food-waste reduction, recycling and composting management, waste-reduction kitchen design and best practices, and sourcing and purchasing as sustainably as possible, including working with vendors and in-house project leaders to reduce waste.
* 3 years working in purchasing in the Culinary world with a culinary degree preferred and kitchen experience
* You've managed employees previously.
* You're able to move heavy boxes up to 50 lbs., as well as navigate the city quickly and efficiently
* You're able to navigate goods in a grocery store, online or through commercial vendors quickly and efficiently.
* You're capable of identifying all types of food from specialty to regular supermarket, high and low products and you have knowledge of numerous ethnic cuisines and food products.
* You're familiar with Excel and able to track budgets and products using this tool
* You understand that it’s crucial to design and implement systems and documentation so that work can continue when you are not here.
* You anticipate and accommodate needs, requests and issues.
* You get exhilarated working with talent on a show set and don't mind traveling or standing for longer periods.
* You shine with a ‘can do’ positive attitude and love collaborating.
* You have impeccable organizational skills, accuracy, attention to detail, and make sure to always dot your 'i's and cross your 't's.
* You monitor timelines and adjust your work as needed, prioritizing the most important pieces to achieve incredible success.
* You're a multi-tasker and professional who keeps it together and keeps rolling along even when things get tough.
* You have excellent communication and follow-up skills and are capable of working on multiple projects in various stages of production.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
*Something to note: Although we try to stick to the 8-hour work schedule, sometimes our work extends into evenings, holidays and weekends.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY