Photo Director-Magnolia Network
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Magnolia Network is a collaboration between Chip and Joanna Gaines and Discovery, Inc. At Magnolia Network, we believe in telling life’s stories authentically and empowering viewers to move past their comfort zones and try new things.
The Photo Director reports directly to the Head of Brand Creative and is responsible for advancing and maintaining the Magnolia Network brand through still unit and gallery photography. The Photo Director is responsible for providing range of photography solutions that serve the company’s strategic needs while maintaining brand consistency which meets the networks creative vision.
• Work with Head of Brand Creative to maintain the Brand’s photography quality and expectations by enforcing brand guidelines & providing photography direction.
• Collaborate with series production companies, providing art direction specific to each series, including - shot lists, equipment requirements, metadata, and delivery requirements.
• Source and commission local photographers for portrait and unit photography shoots on set, producing the shoots, providing specific creative direction.
• Prep and attend photo shoots, as needed, to supervise and direct photographers to maintain brand consistency, including the style of lighting and general Magnolia Network style of photography.
• Maintain network photography style guide, photography requirements and color correction guidelines.
• Must have strong communication and presentation skills and be comfortable managing up to network senior executives across all departments.
• Must have experience managing direct or indirect reports on multiple projects. • Ability to mentor and directstaff team of photography.
• Manage and oversee the photography department workflow and digital photo assets - photo archive.
• Oversee the Photo Team to ensure all executions are high-quality, are in sync with the network style guide and adheresto budgets and deadlines.
• Partners with Art Director of Print Design and Art Director of Motion Design to develop ideas, manage and maintain the network brand.
• Oversee contracts, rights, accounts, and departmental procedures and negotiations. • Responsible for decision making of hiring photographers, retouchers and any other relevant crews.
• Expand and maintain relationships with vendors, photographers, agents, stylists and retouchers.
• Stay abreast of all technologies used in Photography with an eye toward future expansion.
Required Skills & Experience:
• BFA in Photography or related field
• At least 7 years of experience in Photo Directing/Editing/DAM field, preferably within a TV network or Entertainment Industry with solid management experience preferred
• Excellent grasp of great visual communication and the ability to stretch creatively with each new project, while keeping in mind company objectives and strategic goals
• Passion for great photography and design
• Strong artistic sense is a must
• Conceptual thinker
• Ability to work independently, as well in a team situation and with clients, working under pressure, and juggling multiple and complex projects
• Expert knowledge of all current graphic software including Adobe CC Suite
• Expert knowledge of photography production and equipment
• Strong knowledge in file specs and sizes in both Digital and Non-Digital assets
• Knowledge of photo production,retouching and digital workflow • Understanding in Federal copyright laws, usage licenses and embargo