Manager, State Tax
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Job
This role is will focused on US state and local tax (“SALT”) planning and incentives related to the merger transaction; as well as planning and structuring research and recommendations for integration. This role will also support tax controversy by managing SALT audits.
This position will serve as the key state tax role working directly with the Vice President, Global Tax Reporting and EY Tax Co-Source team. The role will also work closely with the SVP, Discovery Networks International (“DNI”) Tax Planning and Development related to economic development and tax incentive opportunities with specific jurisdictions. Position will also interface with the tax department, corporate and business unit personnel on an ongoing basis as well as be responsible for documenting and reviewing calculations of state FIN 48 and FAS 5 positions.
Position will directly manage or support efforts to increase tax benefits related to US state credit and incentive opportunities.
1. Serve as primary internal subject matter expert on state and indirect tax compliance.
2. Work closely with tax planners to advise on potential audit issues and to make sure the company is taking consistent positions across jurisdictions.
3. Manage state direct and indirect tax audits.
4. Assist with identification of tax risk and work with other functional areas to ensure steps are taken to minimize tax and regulatory risk.
5. Build and maintain relationships within the Organization including Accounting and Finance, Legal, Development, Sales and Marketing.
6. Ensures timely responses to inquiries from tax jurisdictions. Regular interface with tax compliance staff on pending audits.
7. Services as primary liaison and directs all responses to state tax audits to ensure the organization proactively responds to requests and presents the most accurate tax data and the reason a position was taken. Advocates on behalf of the organization to ensure audit results are fair and reasonable.
8. Oversees and manages an inventory of ongoing state tax projects to assure continued progress and timely completion as necessary.
9. Identifies tax savings and exposures and effectively communicates such findings.
10. Will work with peers on the Co-Sourcing engagement to obtain assistance when necessary from shared tax reporting professional staff pool.
* Bachelor’s in Accounting or Finance (advanced degree/ Masters and a CPA license a plus)
* 6 years of relevant tax experience with a U.S.-based multinational corporation, public accounting firm (media sector experience a plus)
* Strong knowledge of MS Office applications (Excel) essential (SAP and OTP a plus)
* Demonstrated hands-on approach and success in working in a team-based environment
* Proven ability to remain agile and innovative during periods significant change
* Process and control acumen
* Strong project management skills
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Knoxville, Tennessee, KX, TN