Manager Professional Development
Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, MD
Full Time Job
Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education customers with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all U.K. primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.
Discovery Education builds strategic partnerships with school districts to transform teaching and learning through the implementation of engaging standards-based K-12 digital curriculum, delivery of intensive professional development, and engagement within the global community. The Customer Experience team plays a critical role in achieving our goals of providing the best customer experience in education and demonstrating the educational impact needed to retain and grow our district partnerships.
The Manager of Professional Development is responsible for the strategic management and growth of the paid professional development deliveries for the assigned accounts in the associated region. The Manager of Professional Development is responsible for working with senior school district staff to ensure all aspects of paid professional development exceed customer expectations by flawlessly planning, delivering, and merchandising all purchased professional development within Discovery Education.
The Manager of Professional Development will ensure the successful execution of models of professional development that truly make an impact in K-12 districts’ teaching and learning, while further embedding Discovery Education digital services in instruction.
The Manager of Professional Development will act as an expert and thought leader related to research and pedagogical grounding of our professional development methodologies for our customers.
Post-sale Professional Development Cycle
1. Lead, manage, and flawlessly deliver the paid professional development services for assigned accounts
2. Ensure a quality and consistent level of internal and external communication is maintained with each account
3. Continually monitor measures of success and feedback mechanisms to ensure DE is meeting the expectations of district educators and fostering strong relationships
4. Lead and manage regional accounts to ensure deep and relevant engagement with the strategic customers in the region
5. Demonstrate program impact to secure renewals and growth in scope of both professional development contracts and digital services in subsequent years
6. Maintain and share Discovery Education’s strategic vision, goals and impact stories with customers
7. Work collaboratively and communicate often with key members of the Customer Success Team and regional Partnership and Account Services Teams to understand the full customer experience to know how the PD seamlessly integrates into the customer experience with Discovery Education
Management of Current Professional Development Offerings
8. Constantly evaluate and report upon our customer and specialist feedback to improve the content and/or delivery of our current professional development portfolio of programs for the assigned accounts
9. Work with regional Partnership Teams to forecast and manage the pipeline of programs
10. Work to ensure PD is being scheduled consistently and customers are not lagging in their deliveries or plans for successful professional learning experiences
11. Work with the Director, Professional Development to adhere to travel and expense budgets
12. Participate in regular regional strategic data reviews, including KPIs, surveys, usage, and other business metrics and seek to be well prepared and innovative about possible solutions based on customer feedback from assigned accounts
13. Identification and analysis of account trends
Development of New Professional Development Offerings
14. Assess feedback and trends in the market against our offerings and delivery mediums to ensure we are leading the introduction of research-driven, transformative professional development
15. Work closely with the Director, Professional Development to provide market and customer feedback that potentially leads to the development of new programs and supporting operational and commercial plans
16. Stay abreast of innovation in learning methodologies, research-based best practices and adult learning theory
17. Maintain a current and deep level of knowledge of industry trends and curriculum topics and challenges
18. Stay alert to opportunities for customers to feel a sense of customization and personalization that are internally scalable and efficient
Merchandising and Marketing
19. Ensure artifacts, evidence, qualitative, and quantitative data are collected from each account to provide quality feedback to the customer to foster the success of the digital learning journey
20. Ensure all aspects of the professional development delivery are on brand and represent the power and value of being a Discovery Education customer as well as stay true to the customer’s goals
21. Execute upon and use the storytelling marketing strategy and toolkit (with artifacts and metrics) for the purposes of merchandising, upselling, and supporting the renewal for assigned accounts
Improve Efficiency and Scalability
22. Effectively and correctly use the operational elements of the Professional Development delivery, including systems, tools, communication and management reporting
23. Work across the region to maximize the use and usability of Salesforce as a CRM
24. Work closely with the Customer Success team to monitor usage related to PD deliveries to ensure customer goals are being achieved and the services are deeply embedded into quality instructional practice
25. Reflect upon PD delivery practices to look for ways to increase customer success and increase effectiveness and efficiencies of our deliveries
26. Maintain an understanding of industry trends, current events, anything that may impact the business by reading professional publications, researching all available prospect/product resources and participating in professional organizations
27. Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills
28. Understand new technologies and industry trends and be able to speak to how they impact Discovery Education
29. Read professional literature regularly to contribute as a thought-leader and educational expert to DE
30. Establish strong relationships with associated accounts and DE colleagues aligned in your region and across the business
31. Use DE resources wisely to ensure the maximum impact and look for o