Manager Production & Development
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Job
Develop and execute original programming for the joint venture network with Chip and Joanna Gaines. Manage all aspects of original commissioned productions. Develop ideas, pilots, specials and series. Oversee episodic creative, scripts, music, rough cuts and fine cuts to make sure they meet brand specifications for look and feel and up to production standards. Identify and develop new talent.
1. Coordinate tracking of concepts, presentations and pilots in development to ensure projects deliver on editorial expectations. Ensure information flow and editorial integrity during all phases of development from conception to production.
2. Collaborate and work with other network execs on original programming.
3. Field calls and questions - both solicited and unsolicited - from outside producers regarding proposals and network's programming needs. Regular communication with producers and agents to gather and review development information: budgets, proof of concept tapes, proposal revisions, production schedules etc. Maintain and build relationships with production community.
4. Candidate will help maintain E-Submissions, Submissions Database input and project pass letters.
5. Conduct initial review of projects under consideration and offer editorial input on projects in development. Attend group development meetings.
6. Manage development meeting agendas and additional processes for network (ie, kick off meetings, renewal meetings, first looks, etc.). Maintain development and production reports as required.
7. Perform competitive network and content research.
8. Strategize with team on new categories for future opportunities.
9. Develop and maintain relationships with the production community through solicitation of topics and development of editorial content
10. Brainstorm program ideas, research potential acquisitions and assess content overlap
11. Manage requests from internal departments about new programming
12. Manage the relationships with ad sales, advertisers and agencies for any special projects
13. Identify and develop new talent through pitch meetings, general research, and talent tests
14. Develop ideas for related web opportunities for each on-air program and series
* BS/BA in related discipline and at least 3-5 years of experience in related field - OR -
certification is required in some areas. Network or showrunner experience a plus.
* Knowledge of brand specific history/mystery programming and popular culture related to television programming
* Knowledge of brand specific tools, trends, styles, methods and materials
* Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to produce visual arts
* Knowledge of video/print/media production
* Ability to balance entertainment and information in programming
* Ability to identify, analyze and effectively critique content and storytelling
* Ability to manage the production process from concept to air or to other platforms
* Verbal and written communication, interpersonal, customer service, prioritization, organizational, managerial, and analytical skills.
* Attention to detail and ability to multitask.
* Proficient working with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, MS Outlook
* Strong PC background, with demonstrated proficiency with Windows 7, Excel, Word, and MS Access
* Attention to detail, accuracy, and strong organizational skills
* Strong organizational skills with ability to act independently and responsibly
* Capacity to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Must be able to work collaboratively with team members
* Ability to work independently as well as in cross-functional groups
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Knoxville, Tennessee, KX, TN