Manager, Legal - Data Protection
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Manager, Legal – Data Protection will be a member of Discovery’s global Privacy Office and will provide advice and support on all aspects of data protection legal risk and compliance across Discovery’s global operations. The role will provide day-to-day advice and counsel on data protection matters and assist in managing critical operations of Discovery’s data protection compliance program, working closely with Discovery’s Vice President, Legal – Data Protection & Privacy and other members of Discovery’s Privacy Office, as well as business stakeholders across Discovery’s global operations.
1. Provide data protection advice and counsel to Discovery’s business teams globally, and provide data protection compliance support for Discovery’s evolving business operations;
2. Assist in standing up new data protection compliance programs necessitated by evolving global data protection laws and regulatory frameworks;
3. Support operations of Discovery’s global data protection compliance programs, including for example:
• Draft and negotiate data processing and transfer agreements, as well as other data privacy and security terms of Discovery commercial agreements;
• Assist in the creation and maintenance of personal data inventories / records of processing and associated documentation relating to processing of data;
• Manage the process for responding to individual rights requests received by Discovery companies under evolving legislation in accordance with established internal processes, ensuring compliance with regulatory timelines;
• Carry out PIAs and DPIAs relating to new business initiatives involving processing of personal data;
• Create and maintain internal and external-facing privacy notices, consents and opt-out processes;
• Assist in training Discovery staff on data protection compliance, including specialized training for privacy champions;
• Assist in development of corporate policies, standards and guidelines pertaining to data protection;
4. Stay abreast of new data protection laws, regulations and regulatory guidance and assess the impact on Discovery’s existing operations; advise and collaborate with business teams to ensure all operations are aligned with law and corporate policies.
* Excellent drafting and negotiating skills;
* Excellent written and oral communication skills;
* Ability to provide well-reasoned, business-based legal counsel;
* Ability to manage internal and external stakeholder relationships;
* Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in carrying out activities;
* Strong people skills, including the ability to communicate effectively through all levels of the organization;
* Capacity to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
* Ability to work collaboratively with team members; and
* Ability to work independently as well as in cross-functional groups.
* Law degree from an ABA-accredited law school and current, valid admission to a U.S. bar required;
* 2 years of legal experience; data protection legal experience preferred but not required;
* Commercial contract negotiation experience strongly preferred;
* Data protection professional certification preferred but not required;
* Experience with design, implementation and maintenance of data protection compliance programs preferred;
* Solid understanding of technologies associated with collection, processing, transfer and storage of personal data, including digital advertising technologies, strongly preferred;
* Experience with news and entertainment media and digital content publishing preferred but not required.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY