Manager - Digital Content Services
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
The Manager of Digital Content Services (DCS) will oversee the daily Digital Content Services operation, ensuring that proper standards and outputs are met. The Manager of DCS will also be responsible for establishing and implementing requirements with neighboring departments (clients, external & internal partners).
1. Responsible for the Management of the technical and administrative staff in the Digital Content Services group.
2. Functions include support of Technical Evaluation, Digital Media Prep, and Media Prep area. Work with peers in DCS Management to manage overall DCS workflows and personnel as a unified team.
3. Assist with onboarding of new digital workflows and partners.
4. Liaise with neighboring departments to define workflows and requirements.
5. Establish SOPs and ensure that established procedures are followed.
6. Generate department throughput and performance metrics and ensure efficiency targets are met.
7. Oversee the file-based ingest, assessment, and metadata entry of media into established MAM system.
8. Coordinate with neighboring departments to manage priorities.
9. Provide Director of Operations with timely and accurate status updates.
10. Provide Technical and procedural guidance based on established practices.
11. Troubleshoot equipment issues and engage Engineering staff when necessary.
12. Assist with training for new employees in the operation of equipment and in established processes.
13. Hold regular one-on-one meetings with direct reports.
14. Other duties as assigned.
* Minimum five years of experience in a quality control and/or duplication environment, preferably within a post-production facility, with demonstrated knowledge of NTSC, PAL, high-definition video as well as encoding/transcoding to industry standards.
* In-depth knowledge of post-production equipment and systems, and be familiar with professional tape decks, conversion equipment, routing and patch bay systems, and test and measurement devices.
* Candidate should have a technical management background and familiarity with supervising technical workers.
* Strong leadership and supervisory skills, comfort with teaching and instruction.
* Experience with media file transfer and file sharing workflows
* Familiarity with equipment and techniques used in quality control and encoding processes and evaluations.
* Knowledge of television signals – video, audio, composite, component and digital.
* Knowledge of NTSC, PAL, and HD technical standards.
* Must be able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of video resolution and audio formatting.
* Must be able to demonstrate understanding of media files, including file formats, codecs, file size and storage
* Experience with Non-Linear Editing Systems a plus
* Must have strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills. Windows XP, Word, Excel and Lotus Notes experience a must.
* Must be able to prioritize workloads and handle multiple tasks, in order to meet deadlines.
* Multilingual in any of the following a plus: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Putonghua (Mandarin), Hindi, Tamil, Telugu , Bengali, Melayu, Japanese, Vietnamese, Complex Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Indonesia, Korea, Burmese.
* Must maintain professional attitude, demeanor and relationship with DCI management, co-workers and staff at all times.
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.
* Bachelors’ Degree in Television/Film preferred, but not mandatory.
Discovery Inc. is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Global Technology & Operations provides technological infrastructure and operations support to ensure audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms. Already a leader in the factual and lifestyle genres, Discovery has expanded its core business into new genres: sports, entertainment and kids. Its platforms and product eco-systems are now engaged in terrestrial/free-to-air, OTT products and content development/production companies.
The Way We Work
Discovery continues to grow around the world and across platforms. GT&O is building media technology and systems that meet world class standards for which Discovery is known. Our culture and leadership traits are in evolution as we expand from a traditional linear Pay TV business towards a convergent media and entertainment business that encompasses digital and mobile. Discovery is developing direct-to-consumer relationships, while delivering traditional platforms, with innovative solutions. Discovery is looking to embrace a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual.