Manager- Data Engineering
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
The Data Engineering Manager should have strong data infrastructure and data architecture skills, a proven track record of leading and scaling data engineering teams, strong operational skills to drive efficiency and speed, strong project management leadership, and a strong vision for how analytics can proactively improve organizations. You will be part of the Global Data & Analytics engineering technology team and will partner closely with a team of data scientists, business analysts & data engineers leading Discovery’s cloud based Big Data & Analytics strategy.
You’ll work on implementing complex AWS based big data projects with a focus on collecting, parsing, managing, analyzing and visualizing large sets of data to turn information into insights using multiple technology platforms. Therefore, this role requires an understanding of how a secure big data cloud environment is architected to gain real insights faster, with less friction and complexity. Ideal candidate should be passionate about working with cutting edge technologies in solving problems and Leading a team of 5-8 data engineers.
You’ll need to be an innovative forward-thinker who will help lead end-to-end execution of data engineering initiatives and contribute directly to existing and emerging business strategies and goals. Creativity, Attention to detail and ability to work in a collaborative team environment are essential.
The Data engineering Manager will work closely with the Director of Data Engineering to decide on needed infrastructure architecture and software design needs and act according to the decisions.
1. Proactively drive the vision for data lake across a product vertical, and define and execute on a plan to achieve that vision
2. Lead the design, implementation, and continuous delivery of pipelines using distributed AWS based big data technologies supporting data processing initiatives across batch and streaming datasets
3. Identify, evaluate and implement cutting edge big data pipelines and frameworks required to provide requested capabilities to integrate external data sources and APIs
4. Review, analyse and evaluate market requirements, business requirements and project briefs in order to design the most appropriate end-to-end technology solutions
5. Manage and lead the team of 5-8 data engineers
6. Operate in agile environment to meet the department objective
7. Established relationship with key business lines, Infosec and infrastructure team
8. Provide architectural support by building Proof of Concepts & Prototypes
9. Self-Starter to deliver data engineering solutions to optimize both the cost and existing solution
10. Stay current with emerging technologies and industry trends
11. Fostering a culture of continuous improvement
12. Identifying infrastructure and architectural investment needs
* Minimum of 7-8 years Software Industry experience
* 3 years of development experience with AWS services Must have EC2, EMR, RedShift, Data Pipeline or Airflow, S3, Cloud Formation, CLI and Jenkins
* 3 years of development experience with big data platform like Spark, Hadoop, Presto etc
* Proficiency working with structured, semi-structured and unstructured data sets including social, web logs and real time streaming data feeds
* Able to tune Big Data solutions to improve performance and end-user experience
* Knowledge on Visualization and Data Science Tools.
* Ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
* Experience scaling and managing 5 person teams.
* Communication and leadership experience, with experience initiating and driving projects.
* Project management experience
* Data architecture experience
* Experience in SQL or similar languages and development experience in at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, etc.)
* BA/BS in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or other technical field.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Sterling, Virginia, VA
As Discovery Communications’ portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The Global Data Analytics team enables Discovery Communications to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, data warehousing and business intelligence technology, audience data, advanced analytics, data science, visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports company efforts to increase revenue, drive ratings, and enhance consumer engagement.