Manager - Business & Legal Affairs
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 8/2/2021 8:33:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for Manager - Business & Legal Affairs jobs in New York-NY
Search all Manager - Business & Legal Affairs postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Manager - Business & Legal Affairs?
Full Time Job
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all business and legal matters related to the production, acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content distributed worldwide by Discovery Inc.'s television networks and digital platforms. More specifically, this group negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast in order to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements and responds to usage requests made by the company's many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related, business and legal issues such as guild, insurance, and rights clearances.
Discovery Inc. seeks a bright, highly motivated individual to handle negotiations and draft contracts for the Discovery digital platforms and provide production support including handling of clearances, releases, participant agreements and other related production matters primarily focused on digital content for Discovery's DTC businesses, including but not limited to podcasts, short form, long form, and social media content.
• Draft and negotiate a variety of digital production, co-production, license, distribution, acquisition, development, and content rights deals, including above-the-line talent agreements and location, facilities, depiction, still photo, footage, and music rights agreements under manager supervision.
• Analyze and summarize comments from opposing representation and propose solutions.
• Review digital content/concepts for legal clearance purposes.
• Assist in providing on-going business advice to internal clients concerning digital media, production, talent, and other issues as needed.
• Establish and maintain strong relationships with Discovery's networks and other business units, and Discovery's producers, outside producer's, agents, and talent.
• Qualified candidates must have a JD and be a member of the New York Bar. Must be able to work in the New York City office.
• Minimum of 2 years of in-depth negotiating and drafting experience is a core requirement within the entertainment and/or digital media industries. Experience as in-house counsel or as an associate at a law firm focused on intellectual property is preferred.
• Knowledge of the areas of law required: intellectual property law, corporate law, technology law and data and privacy law.
• Candidate should possess excellent organizational skills, be extremely detail oriented and highly organized to be able handle a high volume of multiple projects simultaneously and to work under tight timelines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills with and to Discovery executives, internal clients and the outside entertainment community.
• Must be self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make firm decisions, and offer a high level of customer service.
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software applications desirable.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.