Live Events Contribution Operator
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
This was removed by the employer on 11/6/2019 10:32:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast Operations Category
Browse the Theater/Live Events Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for Live Events Contribution Operator jobs in Sterling-VA
Search all Live Events Contribution Operator postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Live Events Contribution Operator? The Role
Reporting to the Live Events Manager, this position is critical in working primarily on execution of Live Events for the TOC through support of Discovery WAN, Satellite, and Fiber contribution. The primary purpose of the position is to coordinate and support live events, requiring close cross-organizational relationships.
This position will be responsible for overseeing Distribution initiatives, and communicating transmission concerns to Operations. Coordinating the live event operations for both US and international event initiatives, this position is a mission critical role requiring a vast understanding of Live television and distribution.
The role requires broad experience across Broadcast disciplines, knowledge of existing and new compression formats and an understanding of Multicast IP distribution. Organizational scope of the Live Events Coordinator within our Sterling, VA Broadcast Center – the post holder will oversee Live Events as scheduled and additionally support Distribution Operations.
Post holders will be expected to work shifts including weekends. While regular night work is not required it should be expected that the post holder will need to work nights during certain events, and Distribution Operations coverage as required.
1. Coordinate ad hoc programming and live events from multiple locations
2. Operate TOC contribution/distribution systems located at Discovery North American locations
3. Create and update operational SOPs
4. Provide specialist technical support and information to other departments
5. Strengthen the transmission reliability of the Discovery North America Networks to all their affiliates by making intelligent decisions and handling on air emergencies and discrepancies as they occur.
6. Handle any necessary switching of transmission systems during normal or emergency conditions to ensure that all services remain on the air.
7. Provide input and issue written reports to various factions of the Global Technology & Operations groups about transmission system reliability.
8. Control local and national fiber connectivity between DCI facilities and remote locations throughout the world.
9. Interface with external satellite & fiber vendors when required.
10. Perform on-site quality control and proof of performance testing of ad hoc programs and full-time services.
11. Assist with training, coaching and development of Staff Members as needed
12. Develop and maintain strong working relationships across all Distribution disciplines
13. Develop and maintain strong working relationships across GT&O
14. Deputizes for Live Events Manager as required
15. Partner with GT&O & Digital Sports and Olympics teams on for Sporting Events and Olympic Games.
16. Provide Distribution Operations coverage in line with vacation and sick absences
17. Other duties as required
* 2-3 years’ experience working in Live Television, major sporting events, and scheduling flexibility.
* Thorough knowledge of current, commonly used compression standards.
* An in-depth knowledge of digital baseband signals, SDI, HD-SDI and ASI for video and PCM, Dolby D and E and its variants for audio signals.
* Knowledge of and experience with SMPTE 2202-7, 2110 and AES 67
* Practical working knowledge of baseband broadcast test and transport stream measurement equipment.
* Practical experience of broadcast facility practices and procedures.
* Standard office IT skills – MS Office, MS Visio, MS Project.
* Self-motivation and the ability to advance projects without supervision are essential.
* The ability to deal with multiple workflows, identify and prioritize responsibilities in a changing environment.
* Knowledge of satellite distribution and RF up-linking technology and satellite reception systems and technology.
* Previous experience and use of SNMP monitoring systems
* Candidates should have C-band & KU RF experience along with a familiarity with Arris and Cisco encoding systems.
* Candidates should have the ability to operate associated test equipment including but not limited to spectrum analyzer, signal generator, video waveform monitor, vector scope and transport stream analyzer.
* Specific experience and expertise in troubleshooting and correcting signal quality issues, signal routing, systems integration and maintenance and use of Video/Audio equipment.
* Candidate must have the ability to perform well in a high-pressure environment.
* Computer literacy, excellent oral and written communication abilities and close attention to details are required.
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by their direct manager.
* Candidate must possess the legal right to work in the United States.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Sterling, Virginia, VA This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.