Discovery CommunicationsLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Based in London, this position will form part of the Commercial & Business Operations division of the Legal team providing comprehensive and proactive legal support across the whole EMEA & ANZ region, reporting into the Director, Legal (Commercial & Business Operations). The team has particular focus on Olympics and Sports Events Operations, GTO (Global Technology & Operations), FRES (Facilities & Real Estate Solutions), M&A, Finance & Tax, and other business critical functions.
T he Legal Manager will draft and negotiate a broad range of commercial contracts in close contact with other Legal divisions teams where appropriate (including Digital, Compliance, M&A, Company Secretary and IP & Litigation). The role involves close liaison with the relevant commercial stakeholders and providing legal advice to the business on a wide range of issues as well as occasional dispute resolution management.
• GT&O: review, draft and negotiate supplier contracts for satellite and fibre capacity, channel playout, decoding, software licences and development, ad-tech systems, IT, telecoms and technical equipment and systems;
• Olympics and Sports Events Operations: work closely with Operations team in preparation for the Olympic Games and other sports events. Conduct review, draft and negotiate supplier contracts relating to technical production, studio design, accommodation, air, sea and ground transport, catering, satellite and fibre capacity, website and software development, IT connectivity, warehousing, security, merchandise and hospitality;
• FRES: Coordinate with external counsel to review, draft and negotiate leases, licences to alter, utilities supplier agreements, security and other property-related agreements regarding Discovery's offices;
• M&A: supporting the M&A and Corporate Development teams on services and systems related elements of transactions;
• Finance & Tax: Support with cap- leasing arrangements, drafting intercompany transfer-pricing agreements, Discovery group company intragroup projects (including legal entity rationalization) and other ad hoc requests;
• Other: review, draft and negotiate agreements for People & Culture and PR & Marketing teams; assist the global Company Secretarial team with ad-hoc tasks; and advise and assist the International Advertising Sales team on bespoke commercial deals and amendments to Discovery's standard T&Cs;
• Keeping the Legal Director regularly updated of all matters being managed;
• Create and maintain template agreements for key service areas and update Legal knowhow;
• Support the Commercial & Business Operations legal function and work closely with other legal teams to improve efficiencies and implement best practices;
• Resolving legal queries of a varied nature and providing overall advice relating to all aspects of television broadcasting/distribution/programming across the International region.
• Technically very proficient lawyer - excellent understanding of contract law principles and excellent drafting skills. Company law and data privacy experience is an advantage;
• Must be UK (or comparable jurisdiction) qualified lawyer - excellent academics; training or experience at top law firm an advantage.
• Proven negotiation skills – to deliver both proper legal protection to the company and excellent commercial results.
• Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to work effectively at all levels within the company:
• Clear and concise communicator (both orally and written) – ability to present and distil legally complex issues into legally compliant but practical and commercial solutions, in a way that engages the key stakeholders.
• Well organised and attention to detail: this role requires focus and energy to ensure that nothing falls between the cracks.
• High competency required in IT skills (e.g. Gsuite, Word, Powerpoint, Excel).
• All areas noted above in skills, plus good commercial knowledge essential – must have a deep understanding of the impact that services potentially have on other revenue streams so as to involve other parts of the business as appropriate.
• Extremely professional: calm under pressure, clear thinking, well organised, proactive and grasps concepts quickly.
• Flexible and commercially pragmatic.
• Will be a key provider of day to day support to the business so must be a good team player, and have flexible, hands on approach.
• Emotionally intelligent outlook – must have the ability to diffuse and calm others.
• Inclusive behaviour – ensuring that all key stakeholders are consistently kept in the loop.
• Ability to manage own time judiciously and deal effectively with competing interests.
• Confident, sociable and ability to interact with clients from different cultures and backgrounds.
• Good business and legal judgment and strong commercial acumen.