Junior Distribution Engineer
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
Discovery Communications is seeking a Junior Distribution Engineer to join our Distribution Team. This is an exciting cross functional learning role which will cover all engineering areas of Distribution and will allow for the candidate to collaborate with various engineering teams throughout our organization.
In this is position you will learn to maintain the satellite transmit and receive systems for both our domestic and international platforms, as well as monitor and control local and national fiber connectivity between Discovery facilities and remote locations thought the world. Specifically, you will operate, monitor and maintain multiplexes, satellite transmit systems, fiber distribution systems, and satellite receive systems for Discovery services at our broadcast origination facility and disaster recovery location.
This position is based out of our Sterling, Virginia broadcast facility (DTTC).
1. Operations and maintenance of all the video encode systems, satellite transmit/receive systems, and peripheral monitoring equipment.
2. Operating, troubleshooting, and performing preventative maintenance of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 Encoder platforms, their control systems, and associated infrastructures.
3. Operation of monitor and control systems that supports teleport earth station equipment.
4. The ability to react and trouble shoot issues when they arise, and in a timely manner.
5. On-site quality control and proof of performance testing of ad hoc programs and full-time services.
6. Support Distribution Systems Engineering and Compression Engineering on an as needed basis with projects.
7. Interface with external vendors when required. Provide remote support to affiliates as needed.
8. Repair, maintain and perform preventive maintenance and upgrades on all equipment associated with various signals as directed by management.
9. Additional duties as required.
10. Execute standards and quality control check in processes for all inbound and outbound Discovery services.
* Candidate should have a basic understanding of Television Distribution Systems – fiber and satellite based, as well as Satellite Monitoring and Control Systems. In lieu of that, a strong Engineering/IT background, a desire to work in the television field, and an ability to learn quickly and adapt to various roles in our department.
* A basic understanding of MPEG-2/4 encoding technology, encryption/authorization technology, and TVRO receive systems.
* A basic understanding of troubleshooting and correcting signal quality issues for RF and Transport Stream Analysis equipment is preferred.
* IP/networking experience and AutoCAD skills are a plus.
* Computer literacy, excellent oral and written communication abilities, and close attention to details are required. Ability to prioritize tasks/activities, adapt to change, and refocus to recover quickly.
* Strong computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Office 365, including Excel and Visio.
* Spanish, Portuguese, a plus
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Something to note: This role is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager. Overnights, weekends, holidays, and rotating shifts are required. Must have legal right to work in the United States.
Sterling, Virginia, VA
Discovery Inc is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Global Technology & Operations provides technological infrastructure and operations support to ensure audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms. Already a leader in the factual and lifestyle genres, Discovery has expanded its core business into new genres: sports, entertainment and kids. Its platforms and product eco-systems are now engaged in terrestrial/free-to-air, OTT products and content development/production companies.
The Way We Work
Discovery continues to grow around the world and across platforms. GT&O is building media technology and systems that meet world class standards for which Discovery is known. Our culture and leadership traits are in evolution as we expand from a traditional linear Pay TV business towards a convergent media and entertainment business that encompasses digital and mobile. Discovery is developing direct-to-consumer relationships, while delivering traditional platforms, with innovative solutions. Discovery is looking to embrace a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual.