GM - Direct To Consumer
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
We are hiring a General Manager of the Digital and Direct-to-Consumer business for Magnolia, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and a Chip and Jo Gaines. This General Manager will lead the launch and ongoing development of new digital and direct-to-consumer products. They will be a strategic partner to the Magnolia leadership and peers to improve the lives of Magnolia fans and customers through new products across mobile, tablets, web, connected TVs, voice, and other emerging technologies. This GM will bring the Magnolia vision to life for customers, placing customers at the core of their decision making. They will combine the inspiration of the Magnolia brand with data-driven decision making to drive compelling experiences that delight customers and increase engagement. They will lead the creation of products that solve practical problems for customers, inspire customers, and improve their everyday lives.
This role will lead the design, creation, and ongoing improvement of new digital and direct-to-consumer products for Magnolia. They will lead product planning, user experience design, data science, and analytics to deliver product features that increase engagement, delight customers, and create passionate and loyal fans from Magnolia’s customers. They will help plan and deliver a range of compelling content and experiences across topics such as home design, gardening, do it yourself projects, family, and more. They will implement scalable ecommerce solution, deliver innovative product features, and ensure an end-to-end world class experience. They will work with engineering leaders to prioritize, build, and enhance key features. They will establish operating processes to drive systematic improvements to the product and content based on customer feedback, needs, and behavior. This GM will lead ongoing research and testing to discover what product features and content best meet customer needs. They will lead an effective go-to-market plan, and once in market, they will lead the improvement of key operational metrics, grows the customer base, and deliver a success long-term business.
An ideal candidate will be a driven, passionate advocate for delivering the best product and content experience for customers. They will be excited about the Magnolia brand and what Chip and Jo Gaines’s vision can deliver for customers. This person will make data-driven decisions, have an insatiable curiosity, build for scale, and obsess about the customer. The will relentlessly investigate defects and poor customer experiences to identify the root causes and determine how to improve the customer experience. They are a leader that the team loves to work with because they inspire, develop, and care for their team members. They build trust with people from all areas of the business and have a proven track record. This leader takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
1. Partner with senior business, product, content, and marketing leaders to determine the strategic goals, plans, and operating practices needed to deliver world-class digital and direct-to-consumer products.
2. Establish a customer-centric vision for Magnolia digital and direct-to-consumer products with the Magnolia leadership team that meets key customer needs and delivers compelling content and experiences.
3. Lead the product planning, development, and roadmap for digital sites and direct-to-consumer apps.
4. Manage and drive improvements to the key input metrics across all products, including customer engagement, content usage, feedback, and customer perception.
5. Partner with key leaders across the Magnolia brand to develop a compelling and comprehensive content portfolio, enhancing it on a recurring basis.
6. Partner with key leaders to develop and implement a multi-dimensional go-to-market strategy that builds awareness, encourages potential customers to try the products, and drives deeper engagement for current users.
7. Identify root causes of customer defects and solve these root causes through product and content enhancements.
8. Leverage data and insights to drive innovative product enhancements throughout the end-to-end product experience, including mobile apps, tablets. voice, web, and connected TVs.
9. Partner closely with data science and analytics leaders to leverage data-driven algorithms and techniques to improve the customer experience and address defects.
10. Support business development activities and partnerships to increase distribution and customer awareness.
11. Manage the P&L for the digital and direct-to-consumer products, driving sound investments and a long-term sustainable business model.
12. Build a scalable team to manage and enhance the end-to-end experience across the digital and direct-to-consumer products.
13. Hire, manage, and develop product, design, and analytics leaders and professionals, helping them enhance their skills and grow their careers.
14. Build an innovative and disciplined team culture that builds trust, encourages collaborations, maintains strong accountability, delivers results, increases employee engagement, and has fun.
* Minimum of 10 years of proven experience in product leadership and general management in technology, ecommerce, media, or relevant industries.
* Minimum of 7 years managing teams to deliver compelling customer products, with responsibilities that included day-to-day management, professional development, hiring and retention, and coaching and mentoring.
* Demonstrated ability to work across product, engineering, content, marketing, support, and analytics teams to evaluate new ideas, discuss business and product concepts, creating compelling product designs, create scalable and efficient processes, implement new systems, and make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks.
* Expertise in product design and development.
* Expertise in managing large-scale complex businesses with multiple workstreams in a fast-paced environment.
* Experience leading and driving systematic improvements across product, engineering, analytics, and content teams.
* Experience leading teams across multiple locations, functions, and areas of focus.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Can communicate the results of your work clearly to your audience.
* Experience working with engineering and data science teams to design and build model-based product features is a plus.
* Master’s degree in business or a relevant is a plus.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
New York City, New York, NYC, NY
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel. Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery reaches viewers on all screens and services, from free-to-air and pay-TV channels, to digital products and streaming services, to social and mobile-first content and formats. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and every day utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day, and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain, but improve the lives of our customers.