Discovery CommunicationsLos Angeles, MD
Full Time Job
Executive Producer is responsible for helping to create, produce and manage ground breaking, innovative television programs for TLC. The Executive Producer has creative oversight of a variety of production projects and manages the efforts of multiple outside production companies simultaneously. The EP will also have a strong partnership with the Development function and will be part of the process of building a series/event from the ground up. You will need a strong history of creating factual and entertainment series. The job is to create new programs, new genres and find new ways of talking to audiences.
1. Serve as Team Lead and Main Contact on all aspects of production for Network projects as assigned by network SVP. Directly responsible for pushing project information to internal Network teams and ensuring that the network is maximizing the potential of each project in all stages of production.
2. Supervision of entire creative process – from treatment review to final delivery on original, co-production and reversion projects.
3. Review and convey timely comments to program producers on all stages of development and production.
4. Work with the team to develop new creative concepts, formats and show ideas.
5. Review, edit, and approve preliminary and final treatments, outlines, shooting scripts, scripts, production schedules, budgets, selects, graphics, music, rough cuts, fine cuts, final narration and final versions of all assigned programs.
6. Coordinate casting of talent for network projects. Review talent audition material and work with talent team on contract negotiations.
7. Communication of production information to all internal (ex. Production Management, Business Affairs, Legal, Scheduling, Marketing, Communications, Online, Education, Consumer Products, etc.) and external parties associated with the production including the Network senior management team as necessary.
8. Management of multiple outside production companies on multiple series and specials simultaneously, and in coordination with DCI internal departments to ensure timely, effective and on-budget development, production and delivery of original commissions and co-productions.
9. Supervision of all production phases of reversions or repackaging, including editing, renarration, post-production audio, scripting, graphics and field and studio production.
10. The Executive Producer will be held jointly accountable for the effective business and financial management of their programs.
11. Acts as network representative to outside organizations and responsible for maintaining relationships with external vendors and clients.
12. Help guide departmental support staff members.
13. Help manage on-air and off camera talent as it relates to all aspects of the creative process. In concert with Talent Relations, Communications, Marketing, Online and other internal units, assist in the coordination of talent as it relates to promotion, press, digital outreach and the overall support of the program/series.
14. Will be expected to share ideas and contribute to the strategic vision and direction of the network. Must always think through the “big picture” when managing the production process. Will be held accountable for exploring the possibilities for each show managed (ex. Online opportunities, VOD offering, commerce options, potential of project to become an event or series, etc.)
15. Must contribute to team initiatives that have network-wide implications as determined by Sr. Management (ex. best practices, sharing information, improving vendor relations, business affairs processes, etc.)
* Ten plus years field or studio production experience as producer or writer in film or video documentary, reality, drama, general entertainment, informational, how-to, talk, etc.
* Experience in producing Talent-led series experience is a must.
* Multi camera event programming experience is a plus
* A demonstrated track record in creative execution and ratings performance.
* Experience managing a slate of multiple television projects simultaneously.
* Demonstrated aptitude to work closely with external producers to represent the network’s needs.
* Demonstrated ability to manage the creative process from concept to air.
* Ability to work closely with related divisions including press, marketing, ad sales, education and consumer products.
* Experience working with on-air talent including: hosts, experts, and cast members. Live production experience preferred.
* Four-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.
Silver Spring, Maryland, MD, Washington, DC