Engineer - Electrical & Mechanical
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
The Electrical / Mechanical Engineer monitors and coordinates preventive and remedial maintenance of the critical power (electrical) & cooling (mechanical) infrastructures in the company’s mission-critical facilities and office spaces.
1. Monitors the operation of critical power & cooling systems to ensure the delivery of stable power and adequate HVAC to servers and other technical systems.
2. Oversees periodic maintenance of electrical and mechanical systems. Manages vendors and ensures proper use of procedures.
3. Identifies, responds and troubleshoots equipment failures and operational anomalies.
4. Acts as the primary point of contact when mission critical facility subsystems malfunction and ensures the appropriate service is performed and problems are effectively resolved.
5. Engages and coordinates vendor, engineering and peer support as required to resolve issues.
6. Supports the Technical Facility design and construction management teams. Researches existing field conditions; reviews designs, plans & drawings; shares knowledge, ideas and best practices and suggests improvements based on field experience. Monitors construction activities for quality and compliance.
7. Develops and maintains up to date Methods of Procedure (MOP’s) required for routine preventive & remedial maintenance, installation, commissioning and recovery of facility systems.
8. Strives for continuous improvement in the reliability and efficiency of facility systems.
9. Manages vendors, including: preparation of scopes of work and service agreements; negotiates pricing; manages technical, cost and schedule performance; and reviews deliverables for quality and compliance.
10. Provides guidance to clients on function, usage, and operation of products. Serves as liaison between the organization and customers. Conveys customer feedback to technical design and engineering staff.
11. Interfaces directly with architects, mechanical / electrical / plumbing (MEP) engineers, consultants, equipment vendors, general & trade contractors, property management and other internal / external organizations.
12. Prepares reports on facility related activities.
13. Travels to sites to support construction and equipment installation, start-up, testing, commissioning and maintenance efforts.
* A Bachelor’s degree in electrical, mechanical or industrial engineering, architecture, or business; or an equivalent combination of skills, professional training, certification and experience.
* A minimum of 5 years of full lifecycle project management experience applicable to the design, construction, operation and maintenance of technically complex, high availability, 24x7, mission critical, facilities and electrical / mechanical infrastructures.
* Ideal candidate will have strong practical and theoretical knowledge of electrical / mechanical systems: Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS’s), Battery Systems, Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS’s), Static Transfer Switches (STS’s), Power Distribution Units (PDU’s), 480 Volt Switchgear, Diesel Generators, Computer Room Air Conditioning (CRAC) Units, Drycoolers, Chillers, Air Cooled Condensers, and Cooling Towers; and Building Management / Facility Monitoring Systems (BMS / FMS).
* A high level of initiative, customer focus, and aptitude for learning.
* Ability to work independently and produce excellent results in a highly dynamic work environment.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships throughout the organization and across project teams.
* Must be exceptionally organized, structured, methodical and attentive to detail.
* Excellent analytical, problem solving and follow-up skills.
* Proven ability to break complex issues into manageable parts, establish priorities among multiple tasks and work collaboratively with team members to achieve common goals.
* Ability to multi-task while maintaining schedules and meeting deadlines.
* Outstanding written and verbal communication skills demonstrated through clear and concise reports, meetings & calls and one-on-one dialogue.
* Strong presentation skills.
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, the employee in this position is expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
* This is a night shift position.
* Legal right to work in the US.
* Professional Engineer (PE), Project Management Professional (PMP), and BICSI Registered Communication Distribution Designer (RCDD) certifications and AutoCAD experience a plus
Sterling, Virginia, VA
The Technical Facility Planning & Engineering (TFPE) Department is responsible for the planning, design, construction, outfitting, operation and maintenance of the company’s mission-critical facilities and office spaces with particular emphasis on the power, cooling, and cabling infrastructures that support the company’s information technology (IT), audio-visual (AV), video teleconferencing (VTC), post production, broadcast and transmission systems.