Director Of Product Design
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The GOLFTV Product Team is looking for a Director of Product Design to join a growing team to lead the growth and management of a full product design team. The ideal candidate comes with the understanding that a world-class design and user interface is a fundamental part of bringing amazing experiences to users and grasps the challenges and opportunities that are part of creating dynamic, reactive, and appealing UX / UI design.
This person will work on standardizing design processes, tools and concepts across all OTT interfaces (web, mobile and TV & Connected devices) and will be responsible for designing new features in addition to refining features and processes as a whole. Strategic thinking and detailed product design expertise is fundamental for success in this role.
This role reports into the VP of Product and will work closely with product management, design, engineering, editorial, advertising and marketing teams to define and deliver features and enhancements that will drive engagement and revenue for GOLFTV.
1. In addition to the responsibilities noted above:
2. Collaborate with the Head of Product, Designers, and other key members of the product team to produce awesome, industry-leading work.
3. Deliver world-class user interfaces, contributing UX and visual design expertise and outstanding individual work to the effort.
4. Collaborate with the design team to establish and set best practices, tools, design direction, quality, and workflow requirements across all platforms (web, mobile and TV & Connected devices)
5. Interact with stakeholders and product managers to understand the overall goals for our user experience.
6. Drive design through each stage of production: concept, wireframe, prototype, implementation, and refinement through to final sign-off
7. Iterate designs according to work reviews, changing requirements, and user feedback
8. Foster a culture of close collaboration between engineering and design
9. Provide strong team leadership – lead by example.
10. Work successfully within a milestone-driven environment, utilizing standardized product development processes.
11. Contribute to on-time, on-budget delivery of products and features.
* Bachelor’s degree in Design or a related field.
* Minimum 4-5 years of proven design experience in a digital media company in the video streaming space, preferably in sports.
* Proven ability to grow and lead a team of designers in UX, UI, and Interaction
* Expert-level knowledge of Sketch (Primarily), Flinto, Photoshop, Illustrator, InVision and other industry-standard tools.
* Clear understanding between UX Design, UI Design and Interaction Design, and the benefits of each role
* Experience designing across all major platforms (web, mobile, and TV-connected devices)
* Exceptional conceptual and design skills and a robust portfolio that shows your talent in the digital space.
* A knack for strategic brainstorming and creative execution, as well as excellent visual communication skills.
* Have knowhow of User Experience and Usability and be able to apply it to the product.
* Experience of working with a mixture of in-house and outsourced or offshore teams.
* Excellent written and oral communication. Able to write and present to non-digitally-savvy audiences.
* Knowledge and understanding of Agile product development practices.
* A passion for Sport and/or a good understanding of the media and sport industries.
* Energy, a sense of humor, an open & curious mind and a passion for designing great digital product experiences.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
New York City, New York, NYC, NY
GOLFTV is a new international venture from Discovery that will bring coverage from the best professional golf events to fans around the world. GOLFTV is creating a new, innovative digital platform to deliver live content and special features that will change the way golf coverage is enjoyed.