Director - Media Engineering
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
Daily oversight of media engineering related functions at the Discovery Television and Technology Center origination facility. Serve as liaison between the broadcast operations, distribution and media engineering groups, and coordinate on projects, upgrades and expanded functionality of existing systems. Assist VP of Engineering in guiding corporate technology development in the migration to cloud-based content delivery, digital media-asset management, metadata standards, archiving, and related functions. Close supervision of shift based engineering staff supporting broadcast automation, video servers and data archive.
Position will play a key assisting role in the standardization and consolidation of Discovery technology platforms.
1. Interface with VP of Engineering and all other GT&O leadership to ensure high levels of technology availability and overall network uptime in broadcast origination facility.
2. Facilitate and consult on technological needs to address requests for new initiatives submitted from Broadcast Network Operations as relates to program schedule translation and delivery, video graphics formats, video browsing capabilities, archiving of content, and related efforts.
3. Develop and refine procedural and engineering documentation to facilitate support of total facility systems by the media and broadcast engineering staff. Coordinate training for the engineering staff with manufacturers.
4. Assist in development of upgrade specifications and functionality requirements for new technologies and systems as used in state-of the-art television origination centers.
5. Keep up to date with developments in the television broadcast and production industries, and advise management on potential applications to increase efficiency and reduce costs.
* College degree or equivalent experience.
* Minimum ten years experience in Broadcast Engineering.
* Broadcast Automation and ancillary system knowledge.
* Detailed knowledge of audio and video signal flow through from Cloud based origination through a broadcast facility.
* Strong IT skills at a minimum. Advanced skills a plus.
* Experience and knowledge of functional Broadcast Operations.
* Project Management Skills.
* Ability to develop, refine and present technical documentation.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Sterling, Virginia, VA