Director, Education Partnerships
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
***If you accept a position with Discovery Education you will be an at- will employee under Discovery Education and eligible for Discovery Education benefits and compensation plans. This role is not a Discovery, Inc. position.***
The Director of Educational Partnerships for New York City leads business development and implementation of a comprehensive strategy to develop partnerships with the NYC DOE, area superintendents, and specific schools across New York City to improve student learning outcomes.
The Director of Educational Partnerships focuses on developing relationships at all levels, informed by consistent messaging that leads to the attainment of revenue goals.
Educational Partnerships (Sales)
1. Develop comprehensive regional strategy to ensure the development of
deep educational relationships, ultimately leading to attainment of
individual and team revenue goals.
2. Work with educational partners to implement solutions that meet their
educational objectives. Portfolio should include a mix of digital
streaming, digital Techbooks, professional learning, and STEM
3. Manage the New York City territory that includes 1,800 schools and over 1 million students.
4. Grow business pipeline and strategically direct resources to convert
opportunities to partnerships.
5. Provide thought leadership to partners by connecting educators with
1. Work with the partner engagement team to ensure deep integration of
Discovery Education services within key strategic accounts.
2. Ensure ongoing dialogue with highest-level leaders involved in implementations. Discuss progress with key leaders throughout the implementation to ensure key stakeholder satisfaction. Communicate across Discovery Education to inform the growth of our business in NYC.
1. Develop relationships at an executive level within a targeted set of
accounts to drive growth and maintain our trusted advisor position.
2. Ensure team members establish and maintain relationships at the
Knowledge of DE Services
1. Demonstrate exceptional knowledge of all Discovery Education services.
2. Present overview of Discovery Education and services in a credible and consistent manner. Ensure colleagues are capable of the same.
3. Consistently work with educational leaders to design partnerships of Discovery Education services in a meaningful and solution oriented way.
4. Serve as an expert on New York City Schools. Maintain an understanding of industry trends, current events, anything that may impact the business by reading professional publications, researching all available resources and participating in professional organizations.
5. Effectively communicate with educational partners regarding current
educational topics and trends (i.e. Common Core, Next Generation
Science Standards, funding, legislation, technology, etc.).
1. Collaborate and communicate effectively across Discovery Education to support strategies for growing Discovery Education partnerships in NYC.
2. With growth, develop a team with clearly defined revenue targets and drive a regular cadence of territory reviews and business plans.
3. Develop individual strategies for team members that ultimately support overall territory strategy.
4. Model effective communication, presentation skills, account strategy, and problem solving for the team.
5. Coach team members and collaborators to effectively work NYC and build capacity for securing new partnerships.
1. Interact directly with senior management across Discovery Education to
articulate growth opportunities for educational partnerships and
provide leadership related to general strategy and business
2. Assist in the creation of sales and marketing materials for NYC.
1. Assist with the development of annual territory revenue and expense
2. Adhere to budget by managing travel, marketing and account
1. Maintain a thorough understanding of Discovery Education’s overall
goals and strategic vision. Share this knowledge with team and partners
2. Provide consistently positive and energetic leadership for NYC.
3. Live in NYC area to be active in NYC daily. Additional travel approximately 25% of time (with seasonal variations) for conferences and company meetings. This may include weekend travel.
4. Meet with key stakeholders on a regular basis.
5. Establish strong relationships will all internal and external partners.
* Bachelors degree or an equivalent combination of skills, training and experience. Masters degree preferred.
* Approximately five to seven years sales and account management experience. Demonstrated experience working with NYC Schools or other similar large systems.
* Managerial experience with a proven track record of territory management and exceptional client relations.
* Strong negotiation, interpersonal, presentation, organizational and verbal/written communication skills required.
* Attention to detail and the ability to manage a diverse workload.
* Ability to work as a team and in a fast-paced environment.
* Education experience preferred.
* Candidate must be willing to travel.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
New York City, New York, NYC, NY
About Discovery Education
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind.
Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.