Director - Development & Production
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Director of Development will create programming opportunities that span from entertainment formats to science-rich series, crafting them to suit and broaden Science Channel’s audience as well as feed the flagship Discovery network. The position will require communication and coordination with independent producers and production companies outside of Discovery Inc, as well with other internal departments, including production management, legal and business affairs, finance, international networks, communications, online, advertising and promotion.
1. Create and conceptualize series, specials, stunts, franchises, properties, and other programming initiatives for Science as well Discovery and our international networks. both domestic and international telecast. Research and develop programming ideas including writing requests for proposals and developing internally generated ideas.
2. Coordinate with Business Affairs to option properties, represent network investment ranges, rights, approvals and expectations for project.
3. Stay abreast of trends and breaking research in the scientific community. Liaise with leaders in that community to create compelling programming concepts.
4. Develop new relationships and maintain existing relationships with agents, producers, and writers. Build new relationships with potential international and domestic partners.
5. Review scripts, treatments, and materials submitted from external vendors and work with development team to provide timely feedback as assigned.
6. Work with Marketing, Communications, Ad Sales, Programming, and Production to assure projects meet deadlines and are developed to fulfill overall business, brand and network needs.
7. Coordinate bi-weekly meetings to progress projects.
8. Seek out and secure hosts, new talent and experts, working closely with Business Affairs and Talent Relations on deal terms.
9. Represent the network to outside organizations and maintain partnerships both internal and external. Manage daily work, career growth, training and development of staff.
* At least 7-10 years’ experience in the broadcast or cable industry as a producer, executive in charge of production, or development executive with a track record for ratings success.
* Degree in a science discipline or experience developing/producing science and factual programs.
* Broad knowledge of studio, multi-camera remote and single camera field production and postproduction is essential. Experience in a wide variety of program genres (e.g. entertainment, documentary, reality, drama, informational, etc.).
* Strong leadership and motivational skills, with demonstrated ability to work with little supervision and under pressure to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints.
* Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Strong aptitude in Research.
* Ability to consistently generate and execute new ideas. Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects in varying stages.
* Strong knowledge of producing community with established agent relationships.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
* Computer literacy and database aptitude a must, knowledge of all Microsoft programs.
* Must have legal right to work in United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY