Director, Business & Legal Affairs
Discovery CommunicationsKnoxville, TN
Full Time Job
Position Summary-Our Team
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all business and legal matters related to the production, acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content used worldwide by Discovery’s television networks. More specifically, this group negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast in order to minimize legal exposure; analyses media rights associated with all programming agreements; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related, legal issues such as copyright matters, guild, insurance, and rights clearances.
Discovery is seeking a talented Director, Business & Legal Affairs to support Magnolia’s content acquisition for both its DTC and linear platforms. In this position you will be independently responsible for handling business negotiations, the drafting and review of agreements, and management of the deal for the development, production and distribution of documentary and non-scripted reality television programming, including the agreements for lead and supporting talent (e.g. hosts, celebrities, experts, families, et al) for Magnolia network. You will also provide advice on content-related legal issues for a wide variety of production and programming transactions. In addition to supporting Magnolia, you will also provide support to DIY Network prior to its rebranding as the Magnolia Network in January, 2022. Preferred location for this position is Knoxville, TN, however, qualified candidates based in New York or Silver Spring, MD will be considered.
• Assume responsibility from start to finish for project/deal negotiations and preparation of contracts for developing, producing, financing, and/or acquiring television programming for Magnolia and DIY networks.
• Negotiate all business and legal terms with producers’ lawyers and agents or other representatives, including standard terms and conditions, back-end participation and ancillary deal components such as the licensing and granting of rights.
• Independently draft and/or review development, commission, co-production, acquisition, and other related agreements.
• Negotiate and draft all terms of a variety of talent deals including, but not limited to, series deals, pilot-to-series deals, test-option deals, holding deals, ad sales talent integration deals, brand influencer deals, licensing deals, event releases, and overall services agreements with business and legal terms including exploitation and promotional rights, exclusivity, options, back-end participation, endorsement services, and all other applicable talent deal terms customary to the entertainment industry
• Manage all aspects of the provision of personal services to Discovery/Magnolia throughout the life of the talent deal, including oversight of all business transactions between the talent and the Discovery units that utilize talent’s services.
• Advise and support senior network executives and internal business units (including production management, finance, standards and practices, digital, marketing, consumer products/licensing, publicity, and ad sales on production and key talent business and legal issues including risk management, general labor/guild issues (SAG-AFTRA, DGA and WGA), defamation, copyright, trademark, right of publicity, music, advertising and other related issues.
• Review and draft ancillary production related documents such as access agreements, format licenses, participant releases, and consultant agreements.
• Assume accountability for deals under tight timelines while acquiring appropriate rights within budgetary parameters.
• Manage business practices in concert with network editorial/creative and production management.
• At least four (4) years of experience working in-house in the business affairs or legal department of an entertainment company or within the entertainment practice of a law firm. Preferred experience with a cable or broadcast television network, studio, or production company.
• J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school and admission to a state bar.
• Knowledge of television programming and talent agreements and/or cable industry.
• Knowledge of defamation, privacy, and copyright laws.
• Excellent writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills.
• Creative, business-friendly approach to problem solving and the ability to provide high-quality legal support in a fast-paced environment are vital.
• Relationships with entertainment attorneys, talent agents, talent managers and talent publicists along with a working knowledge of union and guild issues a plus.
• Applicants must be industrious and self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make firm decisions, manage projects, and offer a high level of customer service in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent people skills and ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with internal and external partners
• Excellent business and legal judgment.
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and other software applications required.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
About Magnolia Network
Magnolia Discovery Ventures, LLC is a joint venture between Discovery, Inc. and Chip and Joanna Gaines, with offices in Knoxville, TN, Waco, TX and New York. Magnolia’s Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) app is scheduled to debut in July 2021, followed by a January 2022 launch of the Magnolia linear cable network. Magnolia’s programming offers remarkable real-life stories with everyday heart, humor, hope and human connections, to include fascinating families, heart-warming transformations, and life’s milestones and transformational moments.