Data Engineer Manager
Discovery CommunicationsBellevue, WA
Full Time Job
We are hiring a Senior Data Engineer in Bellevue, Washington to help build, scale, and maintain the data infrastructure needed to transform data into actionable insights and science-driven capabilities across our food, home, and lifestyle products. The Senior Data Engineer will be an experienced engineer and leader on the Data Science and Analytics team. They will help advise and create a scalable data ecosystem that encompasses the many data elements produced across our direct-to-consumer products and apps. This role will build new data sets, scale existing data sets, and create innovative data solutions to support consumer products across mobile, tablets, web, connected TV, voice, and emerging technologies. They will use big data platforms, data warehousing, and business intelligence technology to enable data science, machine learning, and self-service visualization analytics to drive these insights and product capabilities. This senior engineer will ensure the ongoing performance of reliable and efficient data systems using AWS and other data technologies.
An ideal candidate will be a driven, passionate advocate for building and maintaining highly scalable data systems, and using that data to support analytics and solutions that produce great experiences for our customers. This person will make data-driven decisions, have an insatiable curiosity, and obsess about their customers. They will have a strong point of view but remain open-minded should evidence lead in another direction. They are a senior member of the team whom others enjoy working with because they are reliable, innovative, and care for their team members. They build trust with people from all areas of the business and have a proven track record. This senior engineer takes end-to-end ownership and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
• Champion hiring and build a strong team of data engineers; support hiring of data scientists, analysts, and other technical professionals, helping them enhance their skills, while supporting a fun and engaging culture.
• Build cross-functional relationships with product, marketing, engineering, and analytics to understand what data structures and systems are needed to support key business goals and processes.
• Proactively drive the vision for Data, Analytics and Reporting across a product vertical, and define and execute on a plan to achieve that vision
• Work with engineering and partner teams to identify scalable, accessible data sources for analysis and operational use.
• Design, build, maintain, and improve a scalable data architecture and infrastructure to deliver customer, product, and marketing insights.
• Prepare redundant and scalable systems that efficiently use resources and elegantly handle disruptions.
• Ensure data integrity and accuracy across all owned data systems and sources; Define, manage and own data quality and SLA for all data sets and ETL processes in production.
• Partner with central data warehousing team to ensure all relevant data is accessible enterprise-wide and meets common standards.
• Make data engineering techniques approachable and understandable to non-data engineers or scientists.
• Embrace and advocate customer centricity and support and guide team members in making best decisions.
• Be a coach and mentor for lesser experienced team members but also be ready for direct contribution opportunities.
• Actively seek out engineering challenges and position the team for success.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands,
such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel. Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery reaches viewers on all screens and
services, from free-to-air and pay-TV channels, to digital products and streaming services, to social and mobile-first content and formats. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and every day utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day, and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain, but improve the lives of our customers.