Discovery CommunicationsCharlotte, NC
Full Time Job
***If you accept a position with Discovery Education you will be an at- will employee under Discovery Education and eligible for Discovery Education benefits and compensation plans. This role is not a Discovery, Inc. position.***
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content that supports the implementation of Common Core, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Available in over half of all U.S. schools, community colleges and in 50 countries around the world, Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement.
This position is responsible for oversight of accounting and treasury activities. Leads all day-to-day operations of team responsible for all accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable accounts receivable, billing, monthly close process, general ledger and account reconciliations, consolidations, and monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements. Will participate in the new ERP system implementation and ongoing utilization. Leads audit coordination as well as technical accounting and loan covenant compliance.
1. Oversee all accounting, general ledger and reporting systems and processes. Ensures effective utilization of accounting systems and the implementation of ongoing process and system improvements
2. Ensure compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
3. Responsible for researching and implementing new accounting standards and providing technical accounting guidance for company transactions
4. Coordinate calculation of the provision for income taxes and supports the preparation of federal, stae and local income tax returns
5. Conduct analytical review and preparation of consolidated balance sheet, income statement and statement of cash flows.
6. Ensure the timely close of the books and complete financial reports accurately each period, including consolidation of international operations.
7. Manage all internal and external financial audits, including footnote preparation and maintains relationship with external auditors
8. Perform cash projections to effectively manage cash balances
9. Maintain internal control and safeguards for the business and implement accounting policies as necessary
10. Manage team of professionals and sets standards for performance. Hires, trains, rewards and develops team members to reach optimal individual and organizational goals
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Coordinate accounting and reporting activities with former parent under transition services agreement.
2. Other duties as assigned from time to time.
* Bachelors and/or Master’s degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting preferred
* 10 years of relevant accounting experience with previous Controller experience preferred
* CPA certification preferred, Big Four accounting firm assurance experience a plus
* Solid experience coordinating all accounting and audit activities, to include accounts payable and receivables, general ledger, monthly close process and related financial statements preparations
* Strong knowledge of GAAP standards is a must
* International consolidation and foreign currency exchange experience required
* Expert proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products.
* Demonstrated success building high performing teams
* Must have a keen analytic approach with ability to problem solve complex issues, as well as strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting skills.
* Personal qualities of integrity and credibility, as well as the ability to be a proactive, hands-on, strategic and tactical thinker who will partner with the CFO to build a successful accounting and finance function
* Experience with middle-market ERP system required
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.