Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
The Compression Engineer will maintain and monitor all facets of both primary and secondary compression systems and ancillary systems on a 24/7/365 operation. These include linear encoders, multiplexers and conditional access systems. Additionally, this position will maintain state of the art monitoring systems for the Technical Operation Center, fiber distribution systems, ADHOC compression equipment and affiliate receive systems for Discovery services at both the DTTC facility and Discovery’s Disaster Recovery location. The Compression Engineer will execute standards and quality control check processes for all outbound Discovery services.
• Implements, maintains, monitors and troubleshoots linear and ADHOC compression and encoding systems to maintain reliable transmissions.
• Responds to equipment outages, malfunctions, and related technical problems.
• Provides engineering support to all Technical Operation Center systems for global monitoring platforms and compliance recording systems.
• Performs monitoring and configuration of Video IP distribution platform in support of affiliate service delivery.
• Conducts diagnostic testing, repair and replacement activities for all compression sub systems.
• Maintains required records of all equipment maintenance, repairs and replacements.
• Performs and documents testing of new equipment and compression systems.
• Creates and implements standard operating procedures and maintenance operational procedures.
• Provide technical support Affiliate Operations teams as needed.
* 4-6 years of experience with domestic and international television satellite compression and distribution systems preferred.
* Solid knowledge of baseband video, audio and metadata with the ability to analyze and troubleshoot issues.
* Understands the signal flow of transmission systems, can read and produce system drawings.
* Solid knowledge of MPEG-2/4 encoding technologies, encryption/authorization technology, baseband and IP transport along with specific experience on DigiCipher and PowerVu compression systems.
* Solid understanding of IP theory and operation in support of command and control as well as video transport.
* Must be able to perform well in a high-pressure environment while juggling multiple tasks.
* Ability to work independently and provide weekly status report submissions while maintaining daily communication with the management team on day-to-day items and projects.
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager. Overnights, weekends, holiday coverage and rotating shifts may be required.
* Candidate must be a self-starter and take initiate type person eager to work closely with internal and external teams.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States