CNN Domestic Show Teams Internships- Spring
Discovery CommunicationsWashington, DC
Part Time Paid Internship
CNN-This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
The?application deadline for Spring 2023 is Friday, November, 4th. After this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
All internships will be a hybrid, in-person (based on your manager's in office schedule) unless explicitly stated as a virtual opportunity.
If you are submitting a cover letter with your application, please combine the resume and cover letter into one PDF document.
This job posting is for the following show teams. By applying to this posting, you can be considered for any of the show teams listed below. If you have a preference, please specify in your cover letter.
The Lead with Jake Tapper: The Lead airs at 4pm EST and covers a variety of stories and topic areas including international news, politics, business, sports and pop culture. This internship will be in-person based in the DC office.
Who's Talking to Chris Wallace:''Who's Talking to Chris Wallace'' is a unique CNN program that debuts on HBOMax every week, and includes a special ''best of'' airing on CNN on Sunday nights. The show, hosted by one of the best interviewers of our time, explores a wide array of subjects - from sports and arts to music and books - in order to engage in smart, thoughtful conversations with guests in those fields. From being involved in the booking of guests to producing the interview to coordinating with our HBO counterparts, our team is at the center of a very exciting and very different process that no other cable TV show handles. And our interns will have a frontrow seat to this process, as they grow as journalists and potential future producers.
• Interns gain insight into the editorial process while interning for the CNN show teams.
• They strengthen their research skills while contributing to the show and participating in daily and future meetings.
• In production, interns learn how to transcribe tape, dub video, use the various CNN databases, write for air, and work with producers from story inception to finished package.
• Interns will book and greet show guests and assist in basic administrative tasks.
• The intern's schedules will vary and shift throughout their internship, so they can participate in all aspects of the show.
• Working closely with editing team to ensure best elements are created for interviews
• Pitching guest ideas and taking part in brainstorming sessions
• Helping in the research for our interview subjects, including digging through social media post
• At the end of the semester, our intern will have a great grasp of TV news production, guest booking operations, and what it's like to prepare for a big guest interview
• Must be a Junior, Senior or Graduate Student (18 years or older)
• Must be actively enrolled in an accredited college or university degree program for the full duration of the internship (proof of enrollment required)
• Must be in academic good standing (2.8 or above GPA)
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
About Our Program
WBD's Internship Program is designed to nurture students professionally and personally. We attract the country’s boldest and brightest students for paid, for-credit, real-world internship experiences in the entertainment, tech, sports, news and media industries. We offer career-defining opportunties to learn valuable skills that will helo you prepare for a successful future.
Ready to learn more? Here’s what we offer:
• Hands-on work with passionate, talented team members in your field
• Mentorship from some of the industry’s kindest and most passionate entertainment veterans
• Engaging events including professional development seminars, panels with recruiters and former interns, intern-exclusive events, and so much more
• Access to top-level executives and employees through our Speaker Series and Roundtables
• Incredible networking opportunities with industry-leading professionals and a robust intern alumni network
• A creative, collaborative, and inclusive company culture
What you can expect to take away from the semester:
• Opportunities to develop professionally and uncover skills you didn’t know you had
• The insider scoop on the entertainment industry and what happens behind the scenes
• Relationships that will go beyond your collegiate career
• Real-life experiences that will provide you with the confidence to delve into your next adventure
And finally, what to know before applying:
• Our Spring 2023 program is a 12 Week Internship that will run from Monday, February 6th through Friday, April 28th, 2023
• Part time-schedule (16-24 hours/week) required
• Our internships are paid opportunities with a competitive hourly wage. Credit is not required; however, we will provide the necessary documentation for school credit if desired. Relocation is not provided.
Interviewing will take place from September through early December. A WBD team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.