Business & Legal Affairs Coordinator
Discovery CommunicationsMiami, FL
Full Time Job
Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network and Travel Channel, seeks a smart, enthusiastic, highly motivated individual to join the high volume, fast-paced Business and Legal Affairs Department servicing the Latin America/US Hispanic region. This individual will report into the Director, Business and Legal Affairs and support the Vice President with handling television program acquisitions, production, and other related matters.
• Using Discovery’s contract forms, format, draft, and negotiate programming agreements such as development, acquisitions, commissions, co-productions, licensing, music (composer, sync, master use, etc.), independent contractor agreements, amendments to various types of agreements, and other documents related to linear and non-linear programming transactions.
• Review rights waiver forms.
• Analyze and summarize comments on draft programming agreements from opposing representation.
• Review title clearance opinions and searches submitted by production companies.
• Draft and review standard non-disclosure agreements.
• Liaise with internal network and corporate business unit clients and outside companies to finalize agreements.
• Assist BLA executives and networks with rights research using internal databases; locate agreements to support current negotiations; effectively navigate and operate within various computer databases relating to areas of responsibility.
• Create summaries and digests of current and past deals for internal use by networks.
• Prepare and maintain deal status reports.
• Track and record contractual deadlines and time-sensitive information.
• Minimum of 5-7 years relevant experience in the entertainment industry, at a law firm or in-house legal department dealing with the entertainment industry.
• Fluent English required with fluent Portuguese skills preferred, Spanish language skills a plus.
• Excellent legal drafting and negotiating skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and oral communication skills in English and Portuguese.
• Team player.
• ‘Owns’ tasks, proactively moves matters on, seeking instructions and taking matters to conclusion without being prompted.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Discreet and can handle confidential information.
• Ability to handle high volume of work and multi-task a variety of assignments, as well as recognize priorities and manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
• Ability to function on an independent basis, with moderate supervision.
• Working knowledge of television business and general entertainment industry experience.
• Working knowledge of program acquisitions and familiarity with acquisitions agreements.
• Working knowledge of production related issues and experience in production related agreements preferred.
• Proactive, creative, business-minded approach to anticipating and solving legal and commercial issues.
• Excellent computer skills a must (including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point)
• J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school and admission to a U.S. state bar preferred but not required. International equivalent considered.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.