Broadcast Operations Manager
Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
Manage all areas within Broadcast Operations including Master Control, Ingest Operations and Asset Management Operations in coordination with the Operations Management team and Broadcast Operations personnel in their operating environments. Handle real-time operational issues that occur daily in a multi-faceted operation. Interface and attend meetings with network operations counterparts, commercial operations, scheduling and engineering. Review, report and respond to network discrepancy reports. Assist with outward and inward facing projects. Assist with development of training curriculum and implement operational procedures.
1. Manage day to day activities of the master control, Ingest and Asset Management areas in conjunction with the Operations Management team, including the Senior Managers of Broadcast Operations, Director of Broadcast Operations and Director of Technical Operations
2. Supervise 7-10 employees directly
3. Ensure that established SOPs and department policies are followed
4. Develop/implement prescribed employee work schedules and address absenteeism, illness and lateness on a daily basis
5. Analyze and document operational abnormalities; provide Director of Broadcast Operations and Senior Managers with timely and accurate information
6. Assist and/or coordinate suitable training for Broadcast Operations personnel
7. Coordinate corrective actions during operational emergencies. Determine course of action to be taken in situations where advance notice of operational abnormalities is provided
8. Provide Director and Senior Managers of Broadcast Operations with timely and accurate information regarding head-count and staffing. Coordinate new hire search and interviews as required.
9. Conduct annual performance reviews for direct and indirect reports. Conduct recurring discussions with direct reports on employee goals
10. Coordinate Operations and Engineering staff, as needed, during building and weather-related emergencies.
11. Prepare for, lead and attend meetings amongst management, staff and various departments.
12. Exercise total management representation at all times
13. On call 24x7
14. All other duties as assigned
* Experience in a broadcast design and broadcast operations environment preferred.
* Must be able to handle high pressure multi-tasking situations.
* Must have strong leadership abilities and the willingness to lead by example.
* Must be technically literate with the ability to understand scopes, monitoring equipment and various file formats.
* Computer proficiency, strong verbal and written skills including Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio) are required.
* Operational knowledge of automation systems, MAM systems, video servers, graphics servers, databases and Social TV solutions required.
* Knowledge/experience with multimedia file formats (.MXF, .MPG, .MOV, .WMV), file delivery vendors and transcode solutions a plus.
* Must be flexible to support scheduling for 24/7 broadcast operations including holidays, overnights and weekends.
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Sterling, Virginia, VA