Android Engineering Manager
Discovery CommunicationsBellevue, WA
Full Time Job
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the development of our award-winning Android recipe app: Food Network in the Kitchen. Within your role, you’ll be working with a team of engineers, product managers, and designers to build new capabilities in the app on the Android and Amazon ecosystems. You’ll be part of a team that is driving the future of the app experience, helping make In the Kitchen an indispensable app for everyday cooks.
This will be a hands-on role where you’ll be successful by: providing architectural direction on the Android (Kotlin) platform; participating in all aspects of the agile software development process; providing coaching to team members; and collaborating with other Discovery teams on shared objectives. As a manager on the team, you’ll be expected to be hands-on, writing code, and driving code reviews over 50% of the time.
1. Deliver high quality, high performance, scalable code.
2. Lead a DevOps culture in the Product Development organization. This includes monitoring app crashes, memory usage, and product quality; and leads issue resolution.
3. Lead automation of the quality assurance phase of the development cycle through various automation testing technologies.
4. Help set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing.
5. Coach and mentor software engineers
6. Day-to-day support of project initiatives including: participation in sprint planning, team retrospectives, code reviews, and user interviews.
7. Help set team goals and technical direction while ensuring that they align with the goals of the larger organization.
8. Meet with the rest of the engineering management team to align engineering-wide priorities.
9. Leads and evangelizes agile product development process, incorporating consumer insights into product decision-making process.
10. Weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-paced environment with constant change.
11. Assesses mobile landscape for emerging mobile trends with vendors such as Apple, Google, and Amazon.
12. Help implement effective engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality and forward progress.
13. Communicate status, roadblocks and requirements to senior management in order to proactively solve problems and drive solutions.
14. Represent Discovery engineering and management in industry events
* Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field from an accredited college or university, or commensurate experience
* Experience: 4 years in mobile app development, 2 years in an engineering lead/management role.
* You have experience shipping Android applications and you are up to date on the current state of the Android development ecosystem (examples: Android Studio, Maven, Bitrise)
* Knowledge of working with FireTV, Fire Tablets and Amazon VSK
* Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Heroku) is a plus.
* Knowledge of large scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Bellevue, Washington, WA, Seattle
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Genius Kitchen, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on web, mobile, and voice that reach millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.