Esl / Cultural Assimilation Assistant
Detroit TigersSan Pedro de Macoris, DR
Full Time Job
ESL/Cultural Assimilation Assistant--Dominican Republic (Seasonal)
1. Set up and take down computer lab daily, or as needed; monitor computer lab when players use it during their off-play hours and during class time.
2. Maintain English classroom in good condition; monitor and take responsibility of the classroom supplies; monitor library, checking out books and other media to players and making sure they are returned in a timely fashion.
3. Attend MLB training sessions when necessary.
4. Create, post and/or distribute player information, class schedules and flyers; make Power Point programs; set up screen and projector to show movies and assist with the various workshops; Make flyers and other documents that may be needed; make copies, scan receipts and send faxes.
5. Assist with instruction of classes to give differentiated instruction, especially at the upper levels and with the ''travelers'' who will go to the US.
6. Assist with the cultural assimilation program of how to comport oneself in the United States. Assist with outings to various locations and to the local orphanages.
7. Serve as an English conversation partner and one-on-one tutor for players who may need extra help with their studies.
8. Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Bilingual Spanish
2. Previous classroom teaching experience
3. ESL endorsement or certification
4. Strong verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English
5. Significant understanding or working knowledge of baseball
6. Computer skills
7. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
8. Able to work odd hours
9. Driver's License and clean driving record
10. Must have passport and be able to travel out of the country
1. Classroom and baseball academy environment
2. Will live at the Detroit Tigers Academy in San Pedro de Macoris
3. Some evening, weekend, and holiday hours will be required