Esl / Cultural Assimilation Assistant
Detroit TigersLakeland, FL
Full Time Job
ESL/Cultural Assimilation Assistant -- Lakeland, FL (Seasonal)
1. Maintain presence in computer lab and classroom for players use during off-play hours and.
2. Maintain English classroom in good condition; monitor and take responsibility of classroom supplies
3. Work with staff to create, develop and teach innovative and interactive classes using basic life skills curriculum as it relates to baseball as the driving content of the English classes.
4. Assist with Affiliate Instructor Workshop during Spring Training.
5. Create, post and/or distribute player information, class schedules and flyers; make instructional Power Point programs; set up screen, projector and Smart Board for classroom use and for use in workshops and Spring Training meetings.
6. Assist with taking players to the Social Security office, bank and other locations.
7. Assist the players with their online instruction through CENAPEC, the high school program. Serve as the CENAPEC liaison with our representative in the Dominican Republic.
8. Assist with instruction of classes to give differentiated instruction, especially at the lower levels with the new ''travelers'' who are in the US for the first time.
9. Assist with the cultural assimilation program of how to comport oneself in the United States by setting up skits and workshops to be performed by and for the players at the academy.
10. Assist with and serve as chaperone during outings and field trips to various locations.
11. Serve as an English conversation partner and one-on-one tutor for players who may need extra help with their studies.
12. Other duties as assigned.
13. Take players on field trips and chaperone events when needed.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Bilingual Spanish.
2. Previous classroom teaching experience.
3. ESL endorsement or certification.
4. Strong verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and English.
5. Significant understanding or working knowledge of baseball.
6. Computer skills.
7. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
8. Able to work odd hours
9. Driver's License and clean driving record
1. Classroom and office environment.
2. Some evening, weekend, and holiday hours will be required.