Senior Software Architect
Deluxe EntertainmentToronto, ON
Full Time Job
Position: Senior Software Architect
Job Summary: This role will contribute to the leadership, creation and maintenance of a cutting-edge, multi-site production and asset management software, used to create many of the major motion pictures out in cinemas today.
• Architect and code complex solutions. Drive innovation within Stereo D and in the industry. Pleasantly surprise the customer base with creative solutions. Provide a vision for the future product and recognize and recommend trade-offs with respect to the whole system and its limits.
• Quickly turn around high quality and stable software solutions.
• Implement and deliver large features, across systems involving one or more team member's contributions, on-time, and at a high level of quality.
• Coach, mentor and inspire senior and junior developers
• Lead conversations within the development team about the technical direction of major areas of the technology stack; drive team-wide consensus, change management and the adoption of this direction; and use this direction to inspire engineers. Proactive in identifying and clearing roadblocks for the team.
• Lead and help improve software engineering practices across the development team. Embody and advocate a culture of quality code development.
• Identify areas of strategic technical debt and business ROI and provide analysis and recommendations.
• Handle short term and long term projects concurrently, and take control of immediate, production-stopping issues.
• Take direction and change of direction in stride and adjust to on-the-fly prioritization changes.
• Humble, flexible and easy to work with.
• Well-liked by the team and customers. Effectively able to manage positive customer support user experiences. Able to present to external executive clients the advancements of our product innovation.
• Take loose UI concepts and turn them into a solid technical specification with a smooth user-experience. Take a technical paper and turn it into a reality.
• Debug and solve the toughest technical problems that the team encounters and often in a live, time critical and high risk setting.
• On-site presence during office hours and available, as needed, off-hours.
Mandatory Technical Qualifications
• 12+ years of coding experience in a variety of languages and must include: C++, Python, and SQL.
• BSc in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
• Experience with PostgreSQL, query optimizations and BDR replication
• OSX, Linux and Windows platform and build expertise.
• Proven low level system expertise: Hardware, drivers, assembly language debugging and resolving operating system quirks.
• VFX industry experience and the ability to work with a team to deliver high quality software in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Architected for 2 or more Entertainment industry Applications
• Algorithm expertise with modeling, animation, rendering, renderfarm management, particles, visualization, caching and AI.
• Well done and proven UI/UX development experience within the Qt framework.
• Experience in handling, debugging and resolving server issues in a high risk live global environment for thousands of users.
• IT and DevOps experience. Experience with networking and transfer software and protocols.
Nice to have
• 6+ years' experience with working with large datasets and/or working with writing applications for high performance data centers
• 4+ years' experience real time graphics and massively parallel multithreaded design paradigms such as CUDA or OpenCL.
• 2+ years' experience with Agile principles and practices such as TDD, Continuous Integration, daily Scrums, and sprint/release planning and execution.
• Experience with content management or digital asset management systems.
• Experience with SQL databases
• Experience with messaging frameworks such as MSMQ or workflow engines.