Deluxe EntertainmentVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Lighting Artist (speculative application)
As a Lighting Artist at Method Studios, you'll be the rockstar responsible for creating desired lighting effects across shots and sequences. You'll display a high degree of technical skill and artistic judgment. As a Lighting Artist, you'll be able to balance the requirements of your production, based on feedback from Leads and Supervisors, with the limitations of the software and hardware employed.
In this role, you will:
• Work with and support the Lead Lighter, CG Supervisor and VFX Supervisor to fulfill the creative vision of the show within technical parameters;
• Help create and/or modify lighting templates to be used by entire crew;
• Help ensure the quality of final shots;
• Troubleshoot technical production issues, especially those related to lighting;
• Oversee and help optimize shots for rendering;
• Work within the Method pipeline and publish tools and scripts as prescribed;
• Manage disc space to fit within quota;
• Communicate creative and technical issues effectively;
• Be aware of inefficiencies in any area of the pipeline that are impacting your ability to work efficiently, and flag these issues as necessary;
• Work to help correct inefficiencies with the artists and TDs available.
To be successful in this role, you must have:
• Minimum three years' experience in a similar role;
• Excellent artistic skills, with a particular emphasis on real-world lighting/photography an asset;
• Understanding of colour theory and LUTs;
• Knowledge of Katana and/or possibly Houdini;
• Knowledge of one or more of the following, depending on show requirements: Vray, Mantra, Renderman;
• Demonstrable ability to communicate creative and technical thoughts and ideas;
• Ability to take directions and adaptable to change;
• Strength at improvising and problem-solving.
It would also be helpful if you had:
• Tool building and scripting knowledge;
• Knowledge of Nuke and Photoshop;
• Some scripting skills (Python, lua, bash);
• Linux experience.