Manager, Business and Legal Affairs
Critical ContentBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Position: Manager, Business & Legal Affairs
Department: Business & Legal Affairs
Reports To: EVP, Business & Legal Affairs
Location: Burbank, CA
Position Summary: Critical Content is seeking a Manager of Business & Legal Affairs to efficiently and effectively handle a large volume of deals involving the development and production of the company's programs. The candidate will be responsible for a wide range of agreements including, without limitation, development attachments, location, access, appearance, equipment rental, vendor and license agreements and advising on clearance issues. This position will report to the EVP of Business & Legal Affairs.
• Have experience in U.S. unscripted television business & legal affairs with a production company, network, and/or law firm;
• Have experience handling development, and production business & legal affairs matters for television and digital media programming;
• Knowledge of copyright, trademark and contract law;
• Can work with a sense of urgency sensitive to the demands and deadlines of productions operating simultaneously across multiple time zones;
• Have relationships within the television and digital media entertainment industry, including with networks, agencies, law firms, and other production companies;
• Have the interest, ability, and ambition to effectively and efficiently handle many responsibilities as assigned which may include, without limitation, the following:
a. Providing production legal counsel on select presentations, pilots and series and handling a variety of production business & legal affairs matters;
b. Handling day-to-day management of select business & legal affairs matters related to product integrations, sponsorships, and trade-outs for company programming;
c. Participating in select company meetings including, without limitation, production kick off meetings;
d. Creating initial drafts of agreements and redlining and revising agreements;
e. Working with, and advising how to improve, templates and cut-thru agreements;
f. Creating deal summaries for internal distribution;
g. Creating, updating, maintaining and distributing various charts tracking rights and option dates and distributing notification emails internally; and
h. Serving as a resource to other departments within the company to update other departments on the status of certain items and to help drive the efficiency of the department.
Required Skills / Qualifications:
• Solid working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) including redlining.
• Have the demonstrated confidence and ability to make decisions within your scope of authority.
• Are willing to put forth the effort and initiative necessary to help build and maintain an efficient workflow.
• Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Are a self-starter, team player, have a sense of humor, and are ready to hit the ground running.
• Have the legal right to work in the United States.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university and minimum of 5+ years of experience in a legal support role;
• J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school either (i) as an active member in good standing with the State Bar of California or (ii) qualifying for the State Bar of California's registered in-house counsel program.
Critical Content is one of the leading global independent content studios. Launched in October of 2015, the company focuses on unscripted original programming for broadcast, cable and digital platforms. Shows include FOX's ''Who Shot Biggie and Tupac?'', Food Network's ''The Great Food Truck Race'', MTV's ''Catfish: The TV Show'', Netflix's ''The Home Edit'', BET's ''Copwatch America'', Travel Channel's ''Portals To Hell'', WEtv's ''Hip Hop Mysteries Exposed: The Death of Eazy-E'', HGTV's ''Ty Breaker'', E!'s ''Celebrity Game Face'' with Kevin Hart and many more.
Critical Content is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran's status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation or any other category protected by law.
No phone calls, please! Via email:
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will only allow resumes sent as an attachment.
Do not send in the body of the email. Apply Online