Writer, Weekend Breaking News
Full Time Job
Location: Washington, District of Columbia, United States of America
CNN Digital is the most powerful news brand on the internet, reaching millions of people across platforms and around the world every day.?We are journalists, designers and technologists, all united by a powerful mission to inform, engage and empower the world. Join the most trusted and recognized name in news and be a part of a dynamic global team of smart, collaborative and thoughtful journalists doing essential work at a critical time.
See what it's like to work at CNN!??Follow us on? Instagram ,?? Twitter ??and? Facebook .
Your New Role...
News doesn't stop for weekends, and neither do we! CNN Digital is redefining what it means to work weekends in a newsroom, leading the industry in covering the world's most significant news events and providing audiences with smart, engaging and unique counter-programming.
We're light, agile and obsessed with producing strong, accurate and timely journalism. This is a role for a news junkie who wants to be at the center of the biggest stories of the day and thrives on the breakneck pace of deadline journalism. The ideal candidate is a strong writer and collaborator with top-notch news judgment.
Your Role Accountabilities...
• You'll write stories that are published and shared across CNN's mobile and desktop sites, apps, social accounts and other platforms.
• You'll work on CNN Digital's National desk, but this is a general assignment role; coverage will include national and international news, health, climate, entertainment and more.
• You'll also lean into coverage of domestic sports - from big games and memorable moments to top sports personalities.
• You will often help shape story ideas and angles around complex topics and will pitch and execute stories on your own.
• When a big story breaks, you will take the lead in starting and updating the main story for all platforms, keeping us sharp and fast on breaking news.
• You must be skilled at finding ways to cover the news of the day in distinctive ways that resonate with audiences.
• CNN's writers are skillful and swift. They turn in clean, crisp and conversational copy on the first draft.
• The ideal candidate knows how to write briefly and breezily when needed but can also handle high-concept stories off the news.
• This person also knows how to write in formats that go beyond the traditional article - including visual stories and explanatory work that helps audiences understand the news.
• A critical component of the job will be assisting with the live stories that are an essential part of our breaking news coverage.
• You must care deeply about accuracy, urgency and integrity and in maintaining and growing the trust CNN has with audiences worldwide.
• Willingness to work weekends: This is a weekend role, with a schedule that will include Saturdays and Sundays. Hours may include early mornings or late evenings, and shifts may move periodically.
• At least 3 years of digital storytelling experience.
• Experience covering fast-moving breaking news.
• Your great ideas: A newsroom is only as strong as the stories its journalists find and pitch. We want your absolute best.
• College degree or equivalent.
• WarnerMedia requires anyone working in our workplaces in the U.S. to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions to this vaccine requirement are available to those entitled to reasonable accommodations for religious or medical reasons.
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles that will be performed in New York City. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Warner Bros. Discovery's total compensation package for employees. Pay Range: $77,840.00 - $144,560.00 salary per year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Warner Bros. Discovery provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at email@example.com.