Spring Paid Intern - Health & Medical News
Full Time Paid Internship
What will you be doing?
Interns in the CNN Health Unit in Atlanta are not here to observe. Our interns get a front row seat to everything we do and are here to contribute to that. Responsibilities and opportunities include but are not limited to:
• Learning how text stories and TV scripts are crafted.
• Contributing and writing stories and other content for CNN.com/health.
• Strengthening research skills while contributing to live segments and package production.
• Participating in staff meetings and may have the opportunity to accompany producers on story shoots.
• Learning how to use various CNN databases for research and video to locate elements for segments and pieces.
• Learning the story development process of how a story goes from an idea to a script and then through edit to become a TV or digital piece for our website.
• Learning how we vet stories and research
What do we need from you?
• Candidates should be passionate about news, self-motivated, able to multitask, have a good attitude, and be able to function well in fast paced, high volume environment.
• Knowledge or experience in health news or the field of health and science is a plus.
• Writing experience with work samples, including published bylines is recommended.
• Knowledge of television news and how video is chosen for scripts is a plus.
What's so great about this internship?
• An opportunity to work with a great team that is passionate about the same thing you are!
• Networking opportunities to meet people that you'd like to know!
• A speaker series that introduces you to cool executives and what they do for the best brands!
• Spring 2019 program dates are January 21st through April 12th.
• Interns are paid a competitive wage and relocation is not provided.
• Must have completed their sophomore year in college prior to the start of the internship.
• Participation in the internship program is reserved for students who are currently enrolled or within 6-months post-graduation.
• Most positions are targeted to upperclassmen and graduate students.
• Note to International Students: All international students will be required to provide documentation of proper visa paperwork prior to your arrival if accepted to the program.
• Due to the high volume of candidates for Turner's Internship Program, interested students are encouraged to apply for openings as soon as possible, as these positions will be filled on an ongoing basis.
• Competitive candidates are typically contacted after internships are no longer posted on the website.
• Future semester Internship postings will become available after the prior semester internships are no longer posted on the website.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers Minorities/Females/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Protected Veterans/Disabled. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are E-Verify users
What does our department do?
CNN Health & Medical News is the health, wellness and medical unit of CNN. The Chief Medical Correspondent, Senior Medical Correspondent and staff of producers and writers provide all CNN platforms with the latest medical news from daily studies, conferences, and a variety of topics including cancer, AIDS/HIV, fitness, nutrition, public health policy, science, wellness and parenting. We also cover breaking news within our topic areas and play off of the news of the day whenever there is a health angle to be had. We report, write and produce stories, collaborate with other units throughout the network and deliver content across all platforms.