Senior Writer, CNN This Morning
CNNNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Location: New York, New York, United States of America
Every great story has a new beginning. We're excited to announce that Discovery and WarnerMedia have combined to become Warner Bros. Discovery. WBD is a premier global media and entertainment company offering audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, sports, news, streaming and gaming. We're home to the world's best storytellers, creating world-class products for consumers. From brilliant creatives to technology trailblazers and beyond, join us as we step into the next chapter.
The Senior Writer for CNN This Morning is responsible for the program's most important copy and scripting. This role is responsible for constructing and overseeing the lead segments to framing the day's biggest news stories. This writer must have strong news judgment and masters the ability to make the copy urgent, concise, and fresh. This writer must be a self-directed leader who can handle breaking news situations and a heavy workload. Duties also include managing the rundown's scripts and working with producers to select video, soundbites and graphics to make compelling television.
• The Senior Writer acts as the program's head writer, responsible for the development and construction of each hour's lead stories. This includes using the most precise and compelling language in a creative fashion for each news story.
• The Senior Writer will also work closely with producers and element producers on choosing the most effective videos, soundbites and graphics to help illustrate and tell the story.
• Works closely with the Executive Producer and show's Anchors to perfect the framing of stories and help set the tone for the network as well as be the go-to expert on the anchor's voices and tones.
• Pitch ideas and write special scripts that can be turned into package pieces, both in futures planning and day-of needs.
• Senior Writer also takes on the role of overseeing other scripts in the show by writing colleagues, working closely with the copy editor to ensure accuracy and best presentation.
• Provide oversight and creation of the show's copy, building segments and developing scripts from beginning to air
• Helps copy edit scripts and ensures proper tone, structure and fact placement
• Gather elements for segments and prepares material for air, including editing of soundbites and graphics
• Ability to make important editorial decisions and guides talent, writers, associate producers and the technical team
• 7+ years producing experience with both field and control room experience.
• Extensive script writing experience
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field of study is preferred, or equivalent experience.
• Must be able to work an extended schedule as the news cycle and deadlines require.
• Requires a creative thinker with the ability to find new and entertaining ways to present information, new angles to approach stories, and the organization skills to bring it all together.
• Outstanding news judgment, critical and strategic thinking, and an ability to be persistent yet diplomatic are critical for the position.
• Extensive experience in covering politics.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles that will be performed in New York City. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Warner Bros. Discovery's total compensation package for employees. Pay Range: $103,530.00 - $192,270.00 salary per year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Warner Bros. Discovery provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at email@example.com.
This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it's like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.